First Year Registration

If you have already received the email notification of you admission from the Doctoral School, you can now complete the self-enrolment and send the documentation later; you have time until the date indicated in step 1.

Below you will find information on how to enrol in the first year of the PhD at UAB. There are 7 simple steps:

  1. Essential documents for registering
  2. Fees and methods of payment
  3. Self registration
  4. Information for foreign students
  5. Student card, institutional email address and post-registration
  6. Personal data management
  7. Check the Frequently Asked Questions

The information in this enrollment section for the following academic year is updated on July 1 of each year.


Remember that ALL THE DOCUMENTS MUST BE ATTESTED, and if it is issued by a country other than Spain it must be LEGALISED and ATTESTED.

Check here the information on how you should present the documentation.

This documentation must be presented to the Doctoral School before December 22, 2021 in one of these ways:

  1. By post or courier service
    1. Escuela de Doctorado - Documentación de primero
    2. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
    3. Travessera de Can Miró, S/N
    4. 08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès)
    5. Spain
  2. Personally at the Doctoral School, by booking an appointment.

If you have been conditionally admitted while waiting for you to finish your Master's studies, once you have requested the replacement certificate for the title, you must send it to address, before doing the self-registration (you must identify yourself by indicating your ID / passport, NIU, name and surname). If the master's degree is from a university other than the UAB, you must also present the replacement certificate along with the rest of documentation according to the instructions in the previous paragraph.

If you are not a Spanish citizen, you can download the Handbook for international students, where you can find useful information about the UAB, the legal procedures to be done before and after your arrival at the University, information about accommodation and other useful topics, such as cost of living, and language courses, among other services. Please visit the International Support Service page for more information on legal requirements (visa, student residence permit, etc.) or contact directly.

Documents to submit (before 22/12/2021):

  • If you have completed at the UAB the studies that give access to the PhD:
    • For students from EU countries (excluding Spanish): Attested photocopy of the valid passport or identity document.
    • For students from non-EU countries: Attested photocopy of the valid passport or NIE.
    • A colour passport sized photograph.
  • If your degree is Spanish and you have studied for a Master’s degree or PhD at a different Spanish university (not UAB):
    • Attested photocopies of degree certificate and Master’s degree certificate.
    • Attested photocopies of Academic records of the Bachelor / Engineering / Degree and Master's Degree studies
    • For students from EU countries (excluding Spanish): Attested photocopy of the valid passport or identity document.
    • For students from non-EU countries: Attested photocopy of the valid passport or NIE.
    • A colour passport sized photograph.
  • If your university degree is not Spanish:
    • Attested photocopies of degree certificate (or equivalent) and Master’s degree certificate, both legalised (unless issued by countries of the European Union). Titles issued in languages other than Catalan, Spanish or English must be translated in accordance with the instructions for official translation in the 'Legalisations' section of this website.
    • Attested photocopy of academic records (subjects and qualifications) of the Bachelor (or equivalent) and Master’s degree studies, both legalised (unless issued in the European Union). Certificates issued in languages other than Catalan, Spanish or English must be translated in accordance with the instructions for official translation in the 'Legalisations' section of this website.
    • For students from EU countries (excluding Spanish): Attested photocopy of the valid passport or identity document.
    • For students from non-EU countries: Attested photocopy of the valid passport or NIE.
    • A colour passport sized photograph.
  • If your thesis supervisor is not a professor at the UAB, you must add this other documentation:
    • Form of the external thesis supervisor to the UAB (download the file here). You have to send it to the electronic address of your PhD programme.

If you send the documentation by post or courier service, the Doctoral School will review the documentation received and your online registration. If the documentation is not complete, the School will send you  the claim for the pending documentation by mail informing you of the deadline you have to submit it. If when reviewing the online registration we find any incident, we will also notify you by emial. The Doctoral School will carry out these revies between Janyary and April 2022.


For the academic year 2021-2022, the cost of the fees is as follows:

There are two prices, depending on whether the access qualification is from within or outside Spain:

  • If your access qualification for the PhD is from outside Spain the amount is €763.55 (545.40 + 218.15 equivalence fee for foreign qualifications -in the self-registration you must mark this rate in 'optional rates').
  • If your access qualification for the PhD is from within Spain the price is €545.40.

The fees include:

  • Supervision, tuition and continual assessment of the doctoral thesis: €401.12
  • Management of the academic record: €69.80
  • Specific and management services for learning: €70.00
  • Complementary insurance: €4.48
  • Insurance:
    • Scholarly (obligatory for 28 years or under): €1.12

Complementary insurance is a service offered by the university to cover accident and travel insurance and is available to all students registered at the UAB.

If you are thinking of taking part in an exchange programme outside Spain or you are spending a research period abroad you should take out complementary mobility insurance. You must mark it on the optional fees screen.

If you have to register for bridging courses, you must register for and obtain these credits during the first year of the PhD, making the appropriate payment of the fees as set out for the Master’s degree to which they belong. If you are an applicant from outside the EU you must pay the corresponding fee.

Scholarships and grants:
If you are a grant holder or you have any other fee reduction please see the prices that apply in this document (in Catalan). If your scholarship is not related in this table, you will have to pay the registration fee (the PhD students of CONACYD -Mexico- must pay the registration fee).

If the scholarship or scholarship contract or a grant to pay the tuition is awarded in one of these institutions, you will not be able to self-enroll. You must contact your institution so that they authorize the payment by invoice and they communicate it to the address Upon receipt of this communication, the Doctoral School, every Thursday (from July 15 to November 15) will enroll and send you the proof by email. The procedure to make the payment will be managed between the Doctoral School and the institution.

If you cannot do the self-enrolment because you have a scholarship or a specific aid that is not included in any of the two documents indicated above, you can contact the Doctoral School at, indicating your full name, the NIA / NIU and providing the justification for the scholarship or aid you have.

If you have a Large Family card or  certification of any degree of disability issued by the Generalitat de Catalunya, check that this information appears in the Registration Payment when you self-register. In the event that i does not appear or that you have renewed the last course and you have not given it to us, you must send a copy, before making the enrollment, at (you must identify yourself by indicating your ID / passport, NIU, name and surname).

If the Large Family card or Certificate of any degree of disability is issued by the rest of the communities in Spain or you have any other certification that involves a deduction in the registration fee, you must send a copy, fegore doing the self-registration, to (you must identify yourself by indicating your ID / passport, NIU, name and surname).

Attention! At the time you enroll, you will also be asked if you want to pay the following optional fees: SAF, Fundació Autònoma Solidària and Mobility Insurance. If you want to pay them, you only need to mark them. You do not have to select the rest of the rates that appear on the same screen.

Methods of payment:
To make the self-registration you only need to have a bank card or a bank account (Spanish or European direct debit) where you want the registration fee charged

  • Payment by direct debit
    If you wish to pay with a bank account, you must fill in this document an send it to
    If you opt to pay in three payments you must self-register before 30 October by direct debit from a Spanish or European bank account.
    If you pay by direct debit from a Spanish or European bank account it is important to make sure that you have the required amount in your account as you will be charged from the same day on which you register. You will probably receive an email reminding you that the charge will be made to your bank account
  • Payment by bank card
    Payment by bank card can also be made even if you are from outside the European Union. If you choose this option, remember than on the registration settlement screen you mus clict the POS-Terminal point of sale option.

For more information about payment methods, payment dates, etc. please click here.

Once you have registered if you do not make full payment of the fees you will be charged a surcharge on the next payment. See here the consequences of non-payment of fees.

With the file or printing of the registration, once you have recorded the self-registration and the proof of payment made with a card or the proof of the charge in your bank account (if you have chosen payment by direct debit) you obtain the supporting documents of having formalized the registration and serves as a proof to third parties.

If you need another justification to present to a company or institution, you can request it by mail to (you mus identify yourself by indicating your ID / passport, NIU, name and surname), indicating your personal data.

Payments made by bank transfer are not accepted.

You cannot self-register:

  • If your fees are being paid by a third party (company or institution) You have to consult the scholarships and discounts section to pay the amount by invoice.
  • If your registration fees are being paid in full or in part by one of projects of the UAB , you must contact the email address of your PhD programme to manage the documentation for this payment method. You must attach the SEPA document to the email so that you can be charged the amount of the tuition fee that the project does not cover. Consult this document to know more about this registration process.
  • If you have to enroll in training supplements, you will not be able to do the self-enrollment. You will receive an email from the School that will tell you what to do because we will do it internally and we will send you the receipt.

Optional fees:
Other optional services that you can pay for when you register. These services ar not mandatory, but are VOLUNTARY.

  • Physical Activity Service (SAF)
    You can sign up for the physical activity service when you register except if you are a new student or you have a contract with the University Village. The monthly payments are charged by the SAF by direct debit to your bank account. To get your SAF membership card  you need to go personally to the SAF office before 31 December with proof of registration and your bank details. If you want to cancel your membership after registering any payments made will not be returned. You can find more information at the SAF website.

  • Fundació Autònoma Solidària (FAS)
    You can make a voluntary contribution of €15 for activities of solidarity and cooperation for development. You can find more information about the 0.7% campaign and the projects of the foundation at the website of the Fundació Autònoma Solidària.

Other optional services offered by the UAB which you can sign up for once you have registered: for the PhD:


To enroll for the 2021-2022 academic year, you do not have to come to the Doctoral School, you will have to do it online. In this section you will find the link to access.

Once you have read the above information, remember that the deadline for self-enrollment is a maximum of one month from the date of admission, which is indicated in the admission letter. After this month, if you have not made the registration, you will lose the admission and the assigned place and you must apply again, if there are places available.

Remember that if you have been conditionally admitted waiting for you to finish your master's studies, before doing the self-registration, you must send the replacement certificate for the title to (you must identify yourself by indicating your DNI / passport, NIU, name and surname) and you must send it to us according to the instructions in point 1, 'Documentation'.

The subject you have to enroll in is 69501 - First review.

Remember that if your studies are foreign, you must select the equivalency rate for the foreign studies degree that will only be necessary for your first enrollment. Failure to do so will result in non-payment surcharges.

You can register by clicking on the following link:

PhD online enrolment

Below is a short video tutorial to show you how to register on line:

Video tutorial to show you how to register on line

(Vídeo in Spanish, working on translation)

If you do not have a password to register, you can get one at the ‘Password management’ section.

You can check if your device settings is appropriate to formalize the self-enrollment by clicking this link.

Remember that for registration or any other online procedure with the UAB you can use any computer with an internet connection. You may experience problems connecting to external websites if you are using a corporate computer. Check that your workplace has computers with free website access. If you have any problems you can check the technical requirements at this link.

NEW! When you register on line you can also manage your direct debit payments from a Spanish or European bank account, or a bank payment card. Payment using a bank card can be made even if you are from outside the European Union. If you choose this option remember to choose the Point of Sale (POS) option on the fees payment screen.
Payment by bank transfer is not accepted.

If you are a PhD student from abroad and you have to renew your residence permit, you can still register on line. To renew your residence permit  you will be asked for a printed copy of the online-registration document and a copy of proof of payment of the fees either by direct debit or by bank card.  

If you are unable to register on line because you are a grant holder or have some other kind of financial aid (see the conditions in this document, you need to do in person to the School for Doctoral Studies. Remember that you need to make an appointment. You can also authorise somebody to register for you. . You must provide written authorisation indicating the person who will register for you and attaching a copy of your identity document (DNI, NIE or passport). That person must make a general appointment (not an appointment to register for the first year) to be seen to register for you and must indicate your full name.

Appointment request to Doctoral School

If you have problems registering for the first year of the PhD in person, please contact (closed in August) (if you send an email, you must identify yourself by indicating your ID / passport, NIU, name and surname).

At the end of the self-enrolment process, when you make the confirmation, you will obtain the supporting document of the registration that you can save on your computer or send it to you by email. You can present this document to third parties as proof of registration, together with proof of payment (direct debit charge or receipt of the card charge).

Once you have made the confirmation, the registration is recorded and you will not receive any other communication from the university as you have done it.

The following two messages will appear:

  • Your registration has been processed correctly
  • The window can now be closed


Check the previous points, since they also apply to you.

If you are a foreign PhD student who needs to apply for or renew your Foreigner Identification Card (TIE), you can self-register. Consult this link.

It will also be very useful to consult this information from the International.Support Service: Practical Guide for international students, where you will find useful information about the UAB, the legal procedures to carry out before and after your arrival at the university, as well as accommodation, cost of life, language courses and other services.

Also check out this welcome video.

Contact e-mail:


Once you have registered:

  1. You can access this page to request the student card.
  2. Institutional email address of the UAB. Remember that all communications will be sent to your institutional UAB address. In this link you can see how to redirect it to your personal email. If you have doubts, you can consult
  3. Go to the section after registration.

Once you have registered, paid the fees and provided the access documents, you will be considered a PhD student of the UAB. To register for the second and subsequent years you can use the online registration system on any computer.

If you need to renew or replace your student card you should go to the same branch of the bank or choose the option “Request a university card” at the “Services” section of


Check this link in relation to personal data.


  1. Identify yourself correctly
    If you need to send us an email message, you must identify yourself indicating your ID / passport, NIU, name and surname.

  2. I don't remember the NIU / NIA or the password
    The NIU / NIA and password are the same ones that you used to pre-register for the PhD programme and that will accompany you throughout your student life at UAB. If you don't remember them, you can process them again from the intranet, at If even so, this is not generated or you continue to have problems, you should contact the Computer Service through the email

  3. How do I know if I can already enroll?
    First-year students: You must wait to receive the letter of admission from the Rector, even if you have already received the agreement of the coordinator or the Department.
    First-year students with training supplements: The Doctoral School will contact you by email to enroll..
    Students from other courses: You can self-enroll once the review grade for the current year appears in your academic record.

  4. I cannot access the application. Incidents
    If once identified with your NIU and password, the application shows you the following error messages:
    Enrollment file for the academic year of enrollment (Ref. ER0039): The enrollment period for the following course has not yet been opened. You must consult the enrollment calendar at this link.
    You cannot continue the enrollment process because there are pending subjects to qualify in your academic record, or there are pending acts to close: The rating of your last review does not yet appear definitively in your academic records, so you must wait until it has been incorporated in order to enroll.
    Without appointment: Contact the Doctoral School ( We may have to act on your file.
    There is no file: Check that you have received definitive admission to the doctoral program. If the admission is conditional, you must send us the master's degree to so that the admission becomes final and you can enroll.
    Economic defaulting: The tuition for the previous year is missing or there is a debt with any other UAB center. If your previous registration has been paid by a third party and this message appears, contact the Doctoral School (
    Non-economic defaulting: Some important documentation is missing from your file that has been previously claimed. Contact

  5. Can I modify my personal data?
    Yes, on the first screen you can modify your personal data. If you have to modify the name, surname, date of birth or the DNI / NIE / passport number, you will not be able to do it, you must contact and we will provide you with information on how to do it once you have managed the enrollment.

  6. It does not allow me to go to the next screen
    Check that you have filled in all the required fields, as well as marked the acceptances of privacy and data protection policies.

  7. What subject do I have to select?
    You must enroll only and exclusively the subject corresponding to the review you have to take in this academic year:
    69501 - First review (of the first course)
    69502 - Second review (of the second course)
    69503 - Third review (of the third course)
    and consecutively for the rest of the courses.
    If you also want to deposit the thesis, you must register the corresponding review and, once you have recorded the deposit online, the School will send you instructions to self-register the thesis deposit.

  8. If I have to take training supplements, how do I enroll them?
    You will receive an email message from the Doctoral School that will tell you how to do it.

  9. Complementary insurance: how to contract it and what it includes
    It is mandatory and is included in the registration fee. If you need to know the insurance coverage, you can check this link.

  10. I have some tuition bonus (Large Family / Scholarship / Disability / Victim of terrorism / Victim of gender violence) and the tuition discount is not being applied to me
    You must send the document that accredits you as a beneficiary of any of these grants, contemplated in the Public Prices Decree of the Generalitat de Catalunya, to, so that we can update it in the system before you record the self-enrollment and thus the discount can be applied directly. 

  11. What concepts from the 'optional rates' section can I select?
    The concepts applicable to PhD studies, depending on the situation, are the following:
    Equivalence Rate of Foreign Studies title: It must be selected if you have accessed the doctorate with a foreign degree and only the first year of enrollment. If you do not, you will be charged surcharges for non-payment.
    SAF fee: Optional. You can contract your subscription to the SAF through the self-enrollment, but you must contact the SAF for any other procedure.
    Complementary insurance: Mandatory. It will be marked on the self-enrollment screen. Check the information on this link.
    Mobility insurance: Optional (specific and mandatory if you are staying abroad). Check this link.
    UAB Solidarity Contribution: Optional. Check this link.

  12. When to select the thesis deposit code?
    The thesis deposit code (code 68000) does not have to be selected until you have made the online deposit of the thesis and the School authorizes you.

  13. I access with a foreign degree. What is different?
    Remember to select the Equivalence rate of the Foreign Studies title that will only be necessary for your first enrollment. You can check more information at this link. If you do not, you will be charged surcharges for non-payment.

  14. Payment methods and terms
    If you register before October 30 and choose the payment option by direct debit, you can select the payment divided into 3 installments (without interest).
    The self-registration allows payment by virtual POS (bank card: Visa, Master Card, etc.) and by direct debit (Spanish and European accounts). You will find more information about payments and terms at this link.

  15. My research center or company takes care of the amount of my registration and wants to make the payment directly
    You will not be able to self-enroll. You have to contact the email of your PhD programme attaching the SEPA document so that the fees that the project does not cover can be charged to your bank account.

  16. If I choose to pay by direct debit, when will I be charged the registration fee?
    Once the enrollment is formalized, surely that same week or the following week they will pass the charge on you.
    If more than 15 days have passed since the registration was formalized with an account from the Spanish state and you have not been charged, contact us at

  17. I need a document proving the payment of the tuition made
    The registration form generated by the self-registration and the proof of payment (account charge or card charge) serve as proof. If it does not work for you and you need another type of document, you should send an email to indicating your personal data.

  18. How can I deliver the SEPA document?
    You can send it, once you have completed it, by mail to

  19. How can I check that my registration has been recorded correctly?
    From (Students / Registration and File / Consultation and reprint of the registration) you can check if your registration has been recorded correctly, download it and print it as many times as necessary.

  20. Can I change the permanence regime?
    If you want to change your permanence regime, you can do so once the first-year enrollment has been formalized. Check this link.

  21. Can I request a temporary withdrawal?
    If you want to request a temporary withdrawal from the doctorate, whether it is due to illness or if it is voluntary, check this link.

  22. How can I access the Virtual Campus?
    Connect through this link.

  23. How can I access my institutional email address?
    Connect through this link.

  24. Information on equality
    Check this link.

  25. How can I justify that I am registered to present for the scholarship or for other institutions?
    You can always obtain the document that was generated when confirming your registration (see FAQ 19). You can download it, you can print it or you can send it by mail to the two email adresses: the institutional one provided by the UAB ( and the personal one that you have provided us.

  26. Where can I certify the documents that I have to present for the first registration?
    You can certify it at he university or institution that issued the document (certificate of transcript and degree). You cal also, as indicated in the web information of the Ministry of Universities, at the competent authorities for the certification of photocopies of documents, which are: