PhD in Sports Science
Competences and abilities
As a minimum requirement PhD students at the UAB are guaranteed the acquisition of basic competences through compulsory activities and their own research, with an annual evaluation of their training and the progress of the thesis, and a final assessment through the presentation and defence of the PhD thesis. The basic competences are the following:
- Systematic comprehension of the field of study and mastery of the skills and methods of research related to that field.
- Capacity to conceive, design or create and put into practice and adopt a substantial process of research or creation.
- Capacity to contribute to the breakdown of limits to knowledge through original research.
- Capacity to carry out critical analysis and evaluation and to synthesise new and complex ideas.
- Capacity for communication with the academic and scientific community and with society at large in their areas of knowledge in the manners and languages that are habitually used in the international scientific community.
- Capacity for promoting scientific, technological, social, artistic or cultural advances in academic and professional contacts within a knowledge-based society.
Obtaining the qualification offers the PhD student great professional capacity in different areas and especially in those that require creativity and innovation. PhD candidates should also have acquired personal capacities and skills to:
- Operate in contexts in which there is little specific information.
- Find key questions to answer in order to resolve complex problems.
- Design, create, develop and carry out new and innovative projects in their area of knowledge.
- Work independently and in teams in an international and multidisciplinary context.
- Integrate knowledge, deal with complexity and make judgements with limited information.
- Make intellectual criticism and defence of solutions.
Doctoral studies at the UAB guarantee, as a minimum, the acquisition of basic competences through compulsory activities and by means of the research that the doctoral student will carry out, through the annual monitoring of their training, the progress made with respect to the doctoral thesis, and the final evaluation through the presentation and defence of the doctoral thesis (a viva voce exam). The basic competences are the following:
- A systematic understanding of a field of study and proficiency in the research skills and methods related to this field.
- An ability to conceive, design or create, implement, and adopt a substantial research or creative undertaking.
- An ability to contribute to the development of knowledge through original research.
- Aa ability to carry out critical analysis, evaluation, and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- An ability to communicate with the academic and with society in general about their fields of knowledge in the forms and languages commonly used within the international scientific community.
- An ability, in academic and professional contexts, to promote scientific, technological, social, artistic or cultural progress in a knowledge-based society.
- The Incorporation of a gender perspective in the implementation, design, dissemination and evaluation of research projects.
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Additional information: https://www.uab.cat/ire