- PhD type
- Interuniversity PhD
- Number of places available
- aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
- Languages in which the thesis may be written
- English, Catalan and Spanish
- Organising universities and institutions
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Universitat de Barcelona
- Associated departments or institutes
- Department of Animal Biology, Plant Biology and Ecology
- Department of Cellular Biology, Physiology and Immunology
- Department of Animal and Food Science
- Department of Cellular Biology, Physiology and Immunology (UB)
- Department of Evolutionary Biology, Ecology and Environmental Sciences (UB)
- Institute of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (IBB)
- Collaborating institutions
Institut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentàries (IRTA)
Institut de Ciències del Mar (ICM-CSIC)
- Areas of knowledge
- Health Sciences
Why do this PhD?
If you want to contribute to the generation of high-quality aquatic food for human consumption (fish, shellfish, crustaceans, algae) which has a very high demand...
If you want to work on aspects of sustainability and production in the marine or continental aquatic environment...
If you want to research the health and welfare of aquatic organisms...
If you want to investigate and discover products and molecules of aquatic organisms with a future value for health, care, or therapies (medicines, vaccines) ...
If you want to become trained in and research in the challenges of the development of sustainable production of high-quality aquatic food...
If you want to discover and get to know how aquatic animals have adapted to so many different environments on our planet...
...then you are interested in joining our teams by doing a thesis in the Aquaculture programme, which brings together groups with great international prestige in this field, from the UAB or abroad, who are the directors, co-directors, or tutors of the theses. The Aquaculture programme takes place in an environment where there are International PhD programmes (Marie Curie), Industrial PhD programmes, an Erasmus Mundus Master in Aquaculture Health, and a high level of interaction with teams and colleagues from every continent. The programme also has permanent contact with different companies in the primary, service, food, and pharmaceutical sectors. This environment provides many professional opportunities for the future.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options:
- Research in R&D departments in the public or private sector in the areas of:
- aquaculture production,
- feed production for aquatic organisms,
- pharmaceutical industry (medicines and vaccines for aquatic organisms),
- quality control and processing of fishery products.
- Creation of companies and consultancies related to aquaculture.
- Management of installations for aquaculture production or aquariology.
- Project execution, including international cooperation.
- Administration: work related to different areas of aquaculture, such as animal health or management of resources and the environment.
PhD presentation video
Lluís Tort Bardolet
Composition of the academic tribunal for the PhD programme
- The two coordinators of the PhD programme (from both universities, UAB and UB).
- One professor from each department participating in the PhD programme (rotating composition every three years among the participating universities).
Departamento de Biología Animal, Biología Vegetal y Ecología
Facultad de Biociencias
Edificio C - despacho C1/023
Teléfonos: (+34) 93 581 2618 / (+34) 93 581 3786