PhD in Mathematics
Internal Quality Assurance System of the centers
Internal Quality Assurance System for faculties and schools
The process-based management system used by the UAB faculties and schools stems from a commitment to offering degrees with their own policy on quality and measures in place to evaluate and improve performance continuously, according to the European quality standards. These elements together make up this university's Internal Quality Assurance System (SGIQ).
This system involves all the following:
- establishing and monitoring the faculty's policy and objectives regarding teaching standards, in accordance with the university’s strategic lines
- establishing and renewing the offer of PhD programmes
- processes directly linked to teaching activity: tutoring, assessment, mobility, etc.
- processes to gauge the level of satisfaction of the different groups
- processes linked to the people and resources needed: lecturers, administrative and service staff (PAS), infrastructure and services, course scheduling, academic organisation, etc.
- processes linked to the life cycles of degrees: verification (evaluation before implementation), regular monitoring, modification (continuous improvement) and accreditation (evaluation of performance and renewal of the authorisation to continue offering the programme), which seek to organise, renew and improve the offer of PhD programmes.
Evaluation process previous to the implementation of the degree: presentation of a proposal for a new PhD programme for AQU-Catalunya (Agency for the Quality of the University System of Catalonia) to issue the binding evaluation for the Council of Universities (Ministry of Universities), which is the responsible agent for verification.
- Report on the PhD programme
- Resolution on verification by the Spanish Universities Council
- Registry of Universities, Centres and Degrees (RUCT)
Periodic monitoring process of the development and results of the PhD programme: self-evaluation carried out, every 3 years, by themselves.
Internal Quality Assurance System of the faculty
Set of processes to manage and monitor the different aspects of degrees, with the strategic objective of ensuring continuous improvement
A channel for suggestions, complaints and praise regarding the functioning of the UAB
- Satisfaction surveys of Doctors
- Satisfaction surveys of thesis supervisors
- Check here the results of the doctor's job placement survey
- The PhD figures
Recognition and awards
In this link you will find the doctors who have obtained the Special Prize Award in this PhD programme.
You can also consult this document.
The following prizes and honours have been awarded in relation to this PhD programme.
Awards made to PhD-holding lecturers on the programme
Joaquim Bruna Floris, Distinguished Research Prize, 2001.
Xavier Tolsa Domènech, Salem Prize, 2002.
José Antonio Carrillo de la Plata, SEMA Prize, 2003.
Xavier Tolsa Domènech, Prize of the European Mathematical Society, 2004.
Gil Solanes Farrés, Josep Texidor Prize for Mathematics, awarded by the Institute of Catalan Studies, 2004.
José Antonio Carrillo de la Plata, GAMM Richard Von- Mises prize, 2006.
Xavier Mora Giné, SEMA Prize for popularising applied mathematics, 2007.
Rosario Delgado, Albert Dou Prize awarded by the SCM, 2010.
Joaquim Bruna Floris, Narcís Monturiol Medal, 2012.
Xavier Tolsa Domènech, Ferran Sunyer i Balaguer Prize, 2013.
Special distinctions received by PhD-holding lecturers on the programme
Jaume Llibre i Saló, Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences and Arts of Barcelona, 2002.
José Antonio Carrillo de la Plata, ICREA (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies) 2004.
Xavier Tolsa Domènech, ICREA 2004.
Joaquim Bruna Floris, member of the Royal Academy of Sciences and Arts of Barcelona, 2007.
Joan Porti i Piqué, ICREA Acadèmia 2008.
Jaume Llibre i Saló, ICREA Acadèmia, 2009.
Awards to ex-students of the PhD programme
Bartomeu Coll Vicens, Philippe Morris Prize for research, 1992.
Daniel Ramos Guallar, first prize in the Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013 competition, awarded by UNESCO.
Ex-students of the programme working at universities around the world
Ana Nunes (1989, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal).
Ana Sá (1994, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal).
Dante Leal (1995, Universidade de Maceio, Brazil).
Martha Alvarez (1997, Universidad Autònoma Metropolitana, Mexico).
Moira Chas (1998, Stony Brook University, USA).
Marcia Pragana Dantas (1998, Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, Brazil).
Gabriela Damilano Scarpinello (2005, Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto, Argentina).
Claudio Pessoa (2006, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Brazil).
Francesco Vecil (2007, Université de Clermont-Ferrand, France).
Javier Sánchez Sardá (2008, Universidade Sao Paulo, Brazil).
Albert Ferreiro Castilla (2011, Queen Mary University of London, UK).
Víctor Cruz (2011, Universidad Tecnológica de la Mixteca, Mexico).
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Additional information: http://www.uab.cat/matematiques