PhD in Genetics
The PhD programme in Genetics aims to train up researchers in the field of genetics, promoting critical thinking and building up the technical and intellectual skills that characterise PhD holders. While training, students must conduct a unique experimental research project culminating in a thesis to be presented and defended publicly.
This PhD programme is aimed at graduates in genetics or in a related subject (biology, medicine, biochemistry, biotechnology, microbiology, veterinary medicine, environmental biology, biomedical sciences environmental science, agricultural engineering, etc.) who meet the legal requirements for joining a PhD programme and wish to acquire advanced competences in genetics research. The specific requirements of the programme aim to establish a PhD student profile that maximises the chances of success on the programme. PhD students must have recognised research experience, thorough knowledge of the basic concepts and tools in genetics and the capacity to assimilate new knowledge.
A PhD in Genetics opens up a wide variety of career options, the main ones being the following.
- Research in official and private research centres.
- Pharmaceutical industry and related industries ( (evaluation of genotoxicity, etc.)
- Biotechnological industry (production of transgenics, recombinant proteins, à la carte gene therapy vectors etc.)
- Companies that carry out pre- and postnatal genetic diagnostics (including pre-implantation).
- Genetic services companies (sequencing, microarrays, genomic analysis, bioinformatics).
- Scientific equipment companies.
- Companies involved in genetic improvement in animals or plants.
- Hospital genetics services.
- Clinical genetics services.
- Genetic counselling services.
- Police scientists.
- Quality control in food industries (detection of transgenics, etc.)
- Consultancy services on issues related to the environment/ ecological diversity/conservation (zoos, nature parks, etc.)
- Conservation and reproduction of species: flora and fauna.
Objectives and justification
The aim of the PhD programme in Genetics is to train up highly qualified specialists, and it has an excellent track record in this regard. The UAB has considerable experience in genetics research, with groups working on ground-breaking projects that go from theoretical issues to the most practical and specific areas of genetics. One of the concerns of this PhD programme is to respond to the needs of the labour market, in a discipline in constant expansion.
Genetics is a science that is growing ever faster, and it has major effects on other areas of knowledge, such as biology and health, as well as on society and quality of life.
CoordinatorFrancisco José Rodríguez-Trelles Astruga
AdministrationContact person: Maria Josep Mas
+34 93 581 2724
Genetic and Microbiology Department
This PhD programme obtained the prestigious Mention for Excellence of the Ministry of Education for the RD 1393/2007, which enabled the program could be submitted to calls for mobility grants for students and teachers, and that had other advantages in public calls.
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Genetics and Microbiology
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail