PhD in Food Science
IntroductionThe PhD in Food Science aims to provide an adequate framework for preparing researchers and professionals in the areas of food and nutrition science and technology that will allow scientific research projects to be carried out and technologies developed to guarantee and improve the quality and safety of food processes and products. The PhD programme includes the writing, presentation and defence of a doctoral thesis and has a duration of three years.
This PhD programme is related to the lines of research of the research units in the Food Science department, which are have the support of competitive projects (from the European Union or national) or collaboration contracts with companies
Most of the lecturing and research staff on the programme are members of the consolidated group of the Food Technology Plant Special Research Centre (SGR2009-922), which forms part of two networks: the Reference Centre for Food Technology-CeRTA and the Network of Innovation Support Centres (XiT).
The old PhD programme received successive Quality and Pathway to Excellence awards from the Ministry of Education.
- Graduates in Food Science and Technology, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Nutrition and Dietetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biology, Medicine, Environmental Science, Food Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Biosystems Engineering.
- Graduates in other subjects, depending on the area of specialisation.
The specific requirements of the program have been established to ensure a student profile that maximizes the probabilities of success in the program. The student must have recognized experience in research, deep knowledge of the concepts and basic tools in food science and ability to assimilate new knowledge. The student must have proficiency in English.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options:
- Basic and applied research in food science at research centres and/or universities.
- University teaching.
- Research and development of new products and technologies in the food industry.
- Scientific consultant on projects: project manager.
- Scientific consultant for national and international organisations.
Objectives and justificationThe PhD programme in Food Science aims to provide an adequate framework for preparing researchers and professionals in the different areas knowledge that make up food and nutrition science and technology. This preparation enables the PhD students and the research groups that they join to win and carry out projects in scientific research, innovation and technological development in order to improve food processes and products. Emphasis is placed on the ability to find work in the universities, research centres and R+D centres of agriculture and food companies and national and international government agencies.
The PhD program includes the preparation, presentation and defense of the thesis, consisting of an original research work.
Marta Capellas Puig
Presentation of PhD theses as a compendium of publications
- Protocol for submission of doctoral theses as a compendium of publications
- Report of the Thesis supervisor
- Request for submission of thesis as a compendium of publications
- Acceptance of co-authors
Contact: Julia Lacuesta
Phone: +34 93 581 1494
This PhD programme obtained the prestigious Mention for Excellence of the Ministry of Education for the RD 1393/2007, which enabled the program could be submitted to calls for mobility grants for students and teachers, and that had other advantages in public calls.
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
Catalan, Spanish, English.
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Animal and Food Science
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail