PhD in Environmental Science and Technology
A group of lecturers from different department of the UAB noticed as early as 1992 that there was a need to promote multidisciplinary studies in environmental science for the first time in Spain. The degree in environmental science was officially validated as a university degree in 1996. This created the demand for a centre open to students and lecturers and a useful and flexible communication school between the university, the administration, businesses and society at large. That centre is now the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA), which belongs to the UAB and has incorporate researchers with long research careers and international experience and has launched highly prestigious interdisciplinary research groups.
Currently, the environment, as a result of its transversal nature, continues to be of interest in all areas of society and all fields of knowledge. Training and research in environmental science surpasses the specialised structure of the departments and divisions between disciplines. The mission of the ICTA is to promote, carry out and disseminate research as well as train researchers to be able to contribute to an understanding of environmental science and meet the challenges that arise from its interaction with society. The ICTA therefore offers this PhD programme in Environmental Science and Technology.
Students must have taken one of the following official master's degrees: Environmental Studies, Environmental, Social and Economic Sustainability (interdisciplinary), Joint European Master in Environmental Studies (JEMES) or JEMES-Cities and Sustainability (JEMES-CiSu). Access is also open to applicants with graduate diplomas in environmental science, environmental engineering, or other areas related to the environment, whether oriented towards science, technology or management. Bridging courses may need to be taken in these cases.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options:
- Management and development of national and international R&D&I projects in the field of environmental science and technology.
- Research groups in R&D+I laboratories and institutions in the environmental sector.
- Management of SMEs in the environmental sector.
- Management of the R&D+I department in companies of all sizes in the environmental sector.
- Department of environmental management in a large company.
- University teaching in different departments.
- Entrepreneurship in the field of environmental science and technology.
- Management of R&D+I departments in national or international public administration.
- International bodies specialising in environmental issues.
- Management of environment departments in public administration, at local, national or international level.
- Technical management in NGOs specialising in international environmental issues.
Objectives and justificationThe PhD programme in Environmental Science and Technology aims to prepare doctoral students to acquire the necessary skills to carry out research. Emphasis is therefore placed on the incorporation of trainee researchers in one of the existing research groups. Special interest is placed on the transmission of methods and techniques necessary for carrying out research and writing the doctoral thesis.
The vision of the ICTA is to become a centre of reference in environmental studies in Europe, with international projection, pluridisciplinarity and interaction with the different interests as factors that set it apart. This means that constant dialogue and continuous interdisciplinary collaboration is necessary through:
- To be a point of exchange and debate between researchers of different disciplines.
- Launch and promote interdisciplinary research with the involvement of different departments and research groups.
- Promote research programmes about different aspects of the environmental and related topics.
- Work on research training in environmental science coordinating and promoting study and Master’s and PhD level, as well as lifelong learning in this field.
- Create a bridge between the university and society to promote and encourage social dialogue and reflection on the environment and the land.
- Offer a research structure and scientific and technical evaluation and methodological tools for approaching environmental management on different scales.
CoordinatorAntoni Rosell Melé
ICTA - Z Building
Calle de las Columnas
08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès)
Contact: Cristina Durán Díez
Tel. 93 586 86 26
This PhD programme obtained the prestigious Mention for Excellence of the Ministry of Education for the RD 1393/2007, which enabled the program could be submitted to calls for mobility grants for students and teachers, and that had other advantages in public calls.
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
Catalan, Spanish, English
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA)
CSIC and universities with signed collaboration and thesis joint international supervision agreements.
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail