PhD in Clinical and Health Psychology
The PhD programme in Clinical and Health Psychology aims to prepare highly-qualified and competent researchers in this area through the completion of a doctoral thesis. The programme has been active for many years now and was the first in Spain to offer research in child clinical psychology. This year the programme offers training in clinical psychology research in line with the different research projects of the Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, which specialise in both clinical and health psychology in childhood and adolescence and clinical and health psychology in adults.
The lecturers on the PhD programme have broad, accredited research experience, belong to recognised research groups and are involved in research projects that receive funding from European, national and regional institutions, and are therefore in an ideal position to be able to incorporate new trainee researchers.
This PhD programme is addressed to students who wish to conduct high-level research in clinical and health psychology and who have a university qualification in the health sciences (psychology, medicine, nutrition, occupational therapy, nursing, speech therapy, biology, pharmacy or physiotherapy).
The doctoral programme’s academic committee will also consider applications from students with other official qualifications in the field of social sciences and law (educational psychology or education studies).
Candidates must provide proof of research training, advanced knowledge of clinical and health psychology and fluency in English.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options:
- Advanced research in clinical psychology.
- Teaching clinical psychology.
- Participation in research teams.
- Working as a professional with rigour and a critical approach.
- Advisory services to healthcare and education authorities.
- Healthcare worker in the public sector.
- Achieving higher professional qualifications and better employment opportunities and salaries.
- Public and private universities.
- Research institutes.
- Mental health research units in hospitals.
- Mental health centres.
- Public health and education authorities at national, regional or local level.
- Institutions related to epidemiological studies, planning of services, programmes on health promotion and disease prevention.
- Hospital services (neuropsychology, sleep, endocrinology, psychiatry, child psychiatry, etc.).
- Justice, welfare and family centres.
- Technical departments in NGOs.
- Professional practice in clinical psychology.
Objectives and justificationThe PhD programme in Clinical and Health Psychology aims to serve an area of the health profession and health research that in the last few decades has become consolidated in relation to other disciplines (such as psychiatry) and has defined a broad series of objectives, tools and methodologies of its own. The objective of the programme is to prepare students to carry out research in clinical and health psychology and to write a doctoral thesis.
The general objectives are:
- To train researchers in clinical and health psychology towards a high-level qualification and a high standard of competence.
- To promote innovative lines of research that correspond to the particular characteristics of clinical and health psychology.
The PhD programme in Clinical and Health Psychology and the Research Master’s Degree in Clinical and Health Psychology specifically address training needs within research and higher education and, in parallel, the needs of professionals to perfect their skills.
The PhD programme in Clinical and Health Psychology offers research training in clinical and health psychology in line with the research projects of the Department of Clinical and Health Psychology.
Besides the physical resources for teaching and research that the UAB provides for all its PhD programmes, students on this programme can also make use of its own research infrastructures, equipment and services.
CoordinatorLourdes Ezpeleta Ascaso
Phone 93 581 28 83
Fax 93 581 21 25
Composition of the academic tribunal for the PhD programme
Lourdes Ezpeleta Ascaso, president
Susana Subirà Álvarez, secretary
David Sánchez Carracedo
Núria de la Osa Chaparro
AdministrationClinical Psychology and Health Departmental Secretary
School of Psychology, building B
Campus de Bellaterra
08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès, Barcelona)
Phone: 93 581 23 19
Fax: 93 581 21 25
This PhD programme has been awarded the Favorable Accreditation seal by the Catalan Quality Agency (AQU). To obtain this accreditation, the following items have been assessed: quality of the training programme, relevance of public information, teaching staff, learning support systems, quality of the results of the training programme and the SGIQ. You can consult more information in the 'Quality' section of this page.
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
Catalan, Spanish, English
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Additional information: http://www.uab.cat/servlet/Satellite/la-docencia/presentacio-1248213816130.html