PhD in Classical Archaeology
The main mission of the PhD in Classical Archaeology is to train researchers to an advanced level of quality research in the different areas of this discipline which includes Roman archaeology, Greek archaeology and the protohistory of the Mediterranean.
- Include the PhD student in a research group
- Broaden the capacity for acquiring an intensive specialisation in the different directions offered by the lines of research that have been defined.
- Encourage initiative in carrying out the research project using the scientific methodology of the line in which the research is being carried out.
- Promote the acquisition of general skills related to the personal and group work capacity: participation in research projects, data base management, application of new technology, etc.
- Write the doctoral thesis.
This programme is offered jointly with the Catalan Institute of Classical Archaeology and the Rovira i Virgili University. This enables PhD students to take advantage of the infrastructure and potential of the institute and place the programme in a central position in the field of Catalan, European and Mediterranean archaeology.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options:
- University teaching and research
- Participation in research projects in national and international research institutes (nearby: CSIC, CNRS, CNR, etc.)
- Curators in museums
- Municipal archaeologists (in departments of culture, heritage, architecture and town planning)
- Archaeology services at regional level. In the case of Catalonia, the Archaeology Service (Department of Culture) and Local Archaeology Services in Barcelona, Girona, Tarragona, Lleida and Tortosa
- Professional activity in the field of archaeology and the historical heritage. Archaeology companies
- Professional activity in the field of tourism (tourist guides)
Objectives and justification
The fundamental objective of the PhD in Classical Archaeology is to prepare students to be able to acquire the necessary skills to initiate and complete an original and innovative research project with sufficient mastery of archaeological sources and the corresponding literature, and to use technical and methodological research skills and manage the archaeological heritage. This takes place through the planning and preparation of a doctoral thesis and seeks the capacity to be able to carry out research in the public institutional sector and or in the world of cultural, tourist and communication businesses.
Besides the physical resources for teaching and research that the UAB provides for all its PhD programmes, students on this programme can also make use of the following research infrastructures.
At the UAB:
- Laboratory of the Archaeology Area of the Department of Antiquity and the Middle Ages
- Laboratory for the Study of the Stone Materials of Antiquity (LEMLA)
At the Catalan Institute of Classical Archaeology:
- Laboratories, Library and Archives
CoordinatorJoaquin Ruiz de Arbulo Bayona (URV)
César Carreras Monfort (UAB)
Department of Studies in Antiquity and the Middle Ages
Contact: César Carreras
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Phone: +34 93 581 35 52
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
English, Spanish, Catalan, French, Italian
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Antiquity and Middle Age Studies