PhD in Art History and Musicology
The PhD programme in Art History and Musicology of the UAB leads up to a doctorate obtained by writing a doctoral thesis that demonstrates competence in research and analysis in Art History and Musicology. The department collaborates with other European universities, museums and music institutes, which mainly involves lecturers and researchers from these institutions taking part in the programme's research groups. Researchers belonging to them frequently participate in our doctoral seminars and contribute to the tutoring of doctoral students. Among these are the universities of Trier, Freiburg, Salzburg Mozarteum, Saarlandes, Università degli Studi Roma-Tor Vergata, Cattolica di Milano, Autónoma de Méjico, Istituto per i Bieni Musicali dal Piemonte and the Conservatori Statale di Musica "La Canepa".
This PhD programme has the following specific admission requirements.
- Recognised research experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the basic concepts and tools in art history and musicology.
- Ability to assimilate new knowledge.
- Knowledge of languages, especially English, Italian and French, with a minimum level in reading and listening.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options:
- Research within the subject areas related to art.
- School, college and university teaching, or teaching in museums and cultural or heritage institutes.
- Dissemination of the visual arts and the artistic heritage.
- Art criticism and documentation.
- Management of museums and cultural institutions: museum curators and assistants, exhibition coordinators
- Cultural Management in the private or public sector.
- Design of activities and cultural programmes (art seminars, film and video cycles, lectures, etc.).
- Curator of exhibitions and cultural events.
- The art market (galleries, auctions, expert appraisal of works of art, etc.) and advice on collections.
- Specialist publications: catalogues, art books, journals, or web pages.
- Heritage conservation (cataloguing objects and buildings of cultural value).
- Urban planning and development (working in multidisciplinary teams to carry out studies, catalogue buildings, draw up protection plans, etc.).
Objectives and justification
The main objective of the PhD programme in Art History and Musicology is to train up specialists who, by improving their research competences, are able to conduct rigorous research in this field. It also aims to further interdisciplinary studies between Art History and Musicology and other related subjects like history, archaeology, or art restoration and architecture, by offering a training model that focuses on common research lines.
CoordinatorEduardo Carrero Santamaria
AdministrationDepartament of Art and Musicology
93 581 1370
Contact person: Susanna Codolar Gil
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Department of Art and Musicology
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail