How to cite and create your bibliography
If you are writing an academic or research work (Bachelor's Degree Final Project, master's thesis, dissertation...), you should know how to cite and how to create your bibliography or reference lisBt.
When you do an academic work you will often consult different information resources (books, journal articles, databases...).
If you use in your work a fragment or ideas which appear in the consulted information sources, you should cite its authors. Thus you put on record that the ideas are not original but they belong to other person's work.
- Recognize the work of other authors, and define responsibilities
- Reinforce one's argument with research and other theories
- Show that we know the state of the art of the issue, or more literature on the subject
- To locate the cited information sources and make it easy for the reader to obtain further information with the sources we have used
- Avoid plagiarism
Therefore, a quotation allows to identify the information source from which you have obtained the cited ideas, text fragments, tables, images...
The bibliographic citations are presented in the form of a number, asterisk or note in parentheses in the text.
· All information that is not your own (text, photos, maps, charts, tables, datasets, etc.)
· Any specific information that is not common knowledge
· Any sentence written by another author
· Any idea of another person
There are many different citation styles: we will choose one citation style or another depending on our area of study and the target of our work.
For example, if the work is to be published in a particular scientific journal we must cite according to their guidelines, if it is for a class work you have to ask the teacher.
The following table describes the most used citation styles in the different areas of knowledge according to EndNote (we have added some area):
|ESTILO DE CITA||ÁREA DE ESTUDIO||GUIA BÁSICA|
|APA||Communication, Law, Psychology, Economics|
|Council of Science Editors (CSE)||Life Sciences, Veterinary|
|MLA||Language and Linguistics|
|NLM||Health Sciences, Veterinary|
There are several tools to manage the bibliography automatically. You can consult a comparative chart with the characteristics of the main bibliographic management software available to you: Mendeley, Zotero and EndNote Web
In the UAB, as well as in the rest of the Catalan public universities, we support Mendeley Institucional and Zotero.
Plagiarism is the concealment of the sources used and pass through ours, ideas or fragments of text copied from other works. A violation of intellectual property is incurred. You will find more information in:
- Guide "Com citar i com evitar el plagi" (Faculty of Politics and Sociology of the UAB) for students [in catalan]
- Bibliography in the catalog of the UAB and the CCUC (subject: bibliography methodology)
- Bones pràctiques en gestió de dades de recerca : citar les teves dades de recerca. By CSUC
Tutorials and pages from other universities:
- How to cite. Website of the University of British Columbia
- Cómo elaborar citas y bibliografías. Biblioguía de la Universidad de Deusto
- Com citar i elaborar bibliografies. Biblioguia de la Universitat de Lleida