PhD in Sociology
The Department of Sociology at the UAB has offered a PhD programme in Sociology since 1986/1987 with the aim of producing high quality advanced researchers capable of satisfactorily initiating and completing original, innovative and quality research culminating with the presentation of the PhD thesis.
The research areas in the PhD in Sociology encompass a broad range of topics within the discipline:
- sociology of globalisation,
- sociology of education,
- sociology of youth,
- analytical sociology,
- institutional design,
- sociology of work,
- sociology of gender,
- sociology of childhood,
- sociology of the family,
- comparative social policies,
- sociology of migrations and ethnic relations,
- sociology of religion,
- sociology of emotions.
This PhD programme considers the following characteristics to be ideal for beginning doctoral studies.
- Previous studies, not necessarily specialised ones, which have allowed the main approaches in sociology to be known and applied to social reality.
- Previous training in methodology oriented towards knowing and using the research methods of the social sciences, both basic and advanced.
- Having applied this training in methodology to all the stages of a research task concerning an important area within sociology.
- Knowledge of languages: English must be used throughout the programme.
- The doctoral thesis must coincide with one of the lines of research of the groups participating in this PhD programme.
The career options available to graduates from this PhD programme, which include both the public and private sectors, especially universities and research centres, are as follows.
- Post-doctoral research at an academic institution with lines of research related to the specific area of knowledge of the doctoral thesis.
- Research and teaching in university departments and research centres.
- Development of spin-offs and self-employment projects linked to knowledge transfer in the social context, normally in multidisciplinary teams (consultancy in social sciences, in applied research, etc.).
- Leadership and management of non-profit organisations or public organisations at local, regional and international level.
Objectives and justification
The PhD in Sociology seeks to produce advanced level, quality researchers and to develop the competences and skills necessary for future academic and professional activity.
The main objectives are:
- To train researchers to be able to formulate, design and put into practice the process of carrying out original research which is sociologically relevant in an area of complexity and diversity of life and social change, the way in which the principal mechanisms work and the interrelationship between social phenomena.
- Within the context of sociology as a discipline and the specific area of research that the doctoral thesis covers, to offer advanced knowledge about the theoretical and practical aspects as well as the methods and techniques employed during the research.
- To train researcher to be able to carry out innovative projects within the different areas of knowledge in sociology that are recognised by the international scientific community in social, cultural and technological aspects, to facilitate progress in the management of social cohesion and improvements in opportunities for people in complex societies.
The achievement of these objectives is directly linked to the doctoral thesis which must apply the specific research methods of the discipline and demonstrate advanced knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of sociology.
Enrico Mora Malo
Secretary of the Sociology Department
B Building. B3b-141 Office
08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès), Barcelona
Phone 0034 935811152
Sociology Department website
This PhD programme obtained the prestigious Mention for Excellence of the Ministry of Education for the RD 1393/2007, which enabled the program could be submitted to calls for mobility grants for students and teachers, and that had other advantages in public calls.
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
English, Spanish and Catalan
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Sociology
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Additional information: http://www.uab.cat/departament/sociologia/