PhD in Social and Cultural Anthropology
The PhD programme in Social and Cultural Anthropology provides training for researchers, with an emphasis on social research methodologies and techniques and, in particular, ethnographic research, which, together with anthropological theory, leads into the doctoral thesis. These PhD studies also aim to consolidate diversity of approach and the balance between basic and applied research.
The programme has received the Spanish Ministry of Education's prestigious Pathway to Excellence Award, which covers the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 academic years. The award means that teachers and students on the programme are eligible for mobility grants and other advantages.
Access to the PhD in Social and Cultural Anthropology is gained preferably by holding a bachelor's degree and/or master's degree in Social and Cultural Anthropology. Access is also possible for those with related qualifications that include subjects in social and cultural anthropology. Where these two requirements are not met, the academic committee for the programme may approve admission on the academic merit of the candidate and on the successful completion of bridging courses.
Anthropology today (based on research in situ or field work) is an essential tool for the study of any situation requiring specialised knowledge for dealing with cultural diversity: inequalities and ethnic, class, gender and age identities; cultural variations in interactions and social flows or in the functioning of organisations, institutions and companies; complex manifestations of popular culture or the situations of induced change that require specialist intervention.
- Technical advisor, design, evaluation, implementation and intervention in social and cultural policies for public administration in such areas as health, immigration, education, urban space, minorities, social groups, etc.
- Local and community development: consultancies, public administration, cooperation agencies and NGOs, international organisations, etc.
- Teaching and research in universities, scientific institutions and research centres.
- Consultancy services for companies and institutions in areas related to multiculturality and the management of diversity.
Objectives and justificationThe teaching objectives of the PhD programme in Social and Cultural Anthropology are to enable its students to do the following.
- Use bibliographic repertories, documentary archives and databases to find information relevant to their research.
- Implement a flexible research design, whether emergent or programmed, without straying from the research objectives.
- Become competent in the use of the discipline's own techniques, especially those used in the students’ research.
- Acquire a deep knowledge of theoretical developments in their research field.
- Be familiar with the most recent discussions on theoretical issues within the discipline and their own research field.
- Become competent in the comprehension, systematisation, cross-referencing and analysis of the integrated form of data, whether primary or secondary, and from whatever source: oral, written, audiovisual, etc.
- Present results narratively according to the critical canons of the discipline, while at the same time taking into account the different types of audience being addressed.
Composition of the academic tribunal for the PhD programmeSilvia Carrasco
Montserrat Ventura (director of the Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology)
Miranda Lubbers (Master and PhD coordinator)
José Luis Molina
You can download the doctoral program guide in this link.
This PhD programme obtained the prestigious Mention for Excellence of the Ministry of Education for the RD 1393/2007, which enabled the program could be submitted to calls for mobility grants for students and teachers, and that had other advantages in public calls.
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail