PhD in Education
The PhD in Education derives from the old official PhD programmes (RD 1393/2007) in Education, Mathematics and Science Teaching, History, Geography and Social Science Teaching, PhD in Language and Literature teaching and PhD in Physical Education, Music, Visual Arts and Voice, which were offered by the Departments of Applied Teaching and Systematic and Social Teaching; Mathematics Teaching and Experimental Science; Language and Literature and Social Science; and Art, Music and Corporal Expression, respectively.
This is a single PhD programme which integrates all the above-mentioned PhD programmes, maintaining the departments as areas of reference and a total of twelve research lines, in accordance with the different research groups that have been working at this academic level to date. This PhD programme aims to consolidate the diversity focuses and approaches.
The PhD in Education is therefore a revision and complete and innovative update of existing studies, which incorporates new lines of research and offers a broad overview of research in education, while maintaining the specific features of the different disciplines it includes, and from that perspective contribute to the enrichment of research in education – an important area both academically and socially.
The student profile for this PhD programme includes the following elements:
- Bachelor's degree in the different areas of knowledge linked to the curriculum contents.
- Bachelor's degree in Education Studies, Sociology or Psychology.
- Bachelor's degree in Primary Education or Early Childhood Education.
- Bachelor's degree in Social Education and Social Work.
- Equivalent qualifications from other countries.
- Access is also open to graduates in other subject areas who have professional experience in the development, evaluation and organisation of educational processes and organisations in different contexts (teachers, education specialists in local and/or regional authorities, or educators and animators in non-formal education). This professional experience will be evaluated by the doctoral programme’s academic committee.
In all cases, applicants must have the university Master's Degree in Research in Education or an equivalent qualification.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options.
- Innovation and research in the teaching profession, within the different areas of the curriculum.
- Innovation and research in the teaching profession, within the different specialisations of non-formal education.
- Advisory services to education authorities.
- Advisory services to educational centres.
- Publishing consultancy and administration, and materials development.
- Planning and management of institutions in the field of non-formal education.
- Planning and management of document repositories and resource banks in research centres.
- Collaboration with non-governmental organisations (NGOs) working in education.
- Training of high-level professionals.
- University teaching.
Objectives and justification
The PhD in Education aims to influence the consolidation of the methodological, theoretical and technical aspects of education research, seeking a complementary relationship between the strategies of interpretation, explanation and criticism. It also aims to consolidate the diversity of focuses and approaches and the balance between basic and applied research in order to create the rich intellectual environment that is necessary for PhD research.
The PhD programme is aimed at all kinds of researchers in education (anthropological, comparative, curricular, historical, institutional, professional and technological). The objectives are as follows:
- Generate flexible and emergent or programmes research designs that meet the objectives of the research.
- Acquire competence in the use of techniques that are unique to the discipline and especially those used by the PhD student in their research.
- Appreciate the theoretical development on the discipline in which the PhD student will carry out their research.
- Acquire competence in the integrated comprehension, systematisation interrelationship and analysis of data and information from primary and secondary sources, and of oral, written, audiovisual and other origins.
- Present the research results in accordance with the critical canons of the discipline.
Dra. Mercè Junyent Pubill
Composition of the academic tribunal for the PhD programmeThe academic commission of the PhD in education is constituted by the coordinator of the programme and the representatives of the fields and lines of research of the different departments involved:
- Dra. Carme Armengol Asparo
- Dra. Melinda Ann Dooly
- Dra. Mariona Espinet Blanch
- Dra. Mercè Junyent Pubill
- Dra. Pilar Pineda Herrero
- Dra. Montserrat Rifà Valls
- Dr. Antoni Santisteban Fernández
- Dr. José Tejada Fernández
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
Catalan, Spanish, English
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Applied Pedagogy
Department of Educational Theories and Social Pedagogy
Department of Language and Literature Education and Social Science Education
Department of Teaching of Mathematics and Experimental Sciences
Department of Teaching of Musical, Artistic and Corporal Expression
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Additional information: http://www.uab.cat/doctorateducacio/