PhD in Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is a strongly interdisciplinary and transversal strategic discipline which is currently experiencing a major expansion both on an academic and professional level (hospital, pharmaceutical, biotechnological, agro-food sectors, etc.). The explosion in the number of biological data processed by hospitals and companies (the Big Data paradigm) and the need to design procedures for their interpretation are the main reasons for the growing demand for people trained in bioinformatics engineers with a high level of training.
High level research training in bioinformatics prepares students for a broad range of professional and academic entry points, since there is an increasingly large demand for professionals at this level in hospitals, companies, and the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and agro-food industry.
The companies in these sectors are very active in research, development and innovation since this activity is essential for maintaining or improving their competitive level.
Objectives and justification
The PhD programme in Bioinformatics aims to train researchers to a level of excellence and make them capable of bringing new methods, knowledge and tools for computational analysis or the development of models in life sciences. This PhD programme study offers continuity to existing studies at Bachelor's (interuniversity) and Master's (different participating universities) level in Bioinformatics.
With the objective of establishing a potent degree in this area, which is able to attract the best students and turn them into the best researchers and professionals, the programme includes top experts from six Catalan universities in the different areas which make up Bioinformatics. The programme also has the participation of the Barcelona Bioinformatics Association (BIB) which brings together universities, research centres and companies with the aim of positioning Barcelona and Catalonia among the world leaders in bioinformatics.
All research groups have the necessary infrastructure and equipment for students on the PhD programme to carry out their research in suitable conditions: personal working space (own adequate sized desk) in an office or computer laboratory with comfortable working conditions (temperature, noise, ergonomics, etc.) in compliance with the health and safety at work directives.
The personal working space is always situated within other group working spaces to facilitate interaction with the other group members and the leader.
- The workstation (computer) for individual use is connected to broadband internet and to the group's or the department's/institute's own servers.
- Access to a high performance computer cluster for the group, department or institute when the type of project demands it.
- Access to data storage units suitable for project development .
- Open or commercial software necessary for project development.
- Access to photocopiers and printers; office material.
- Research groups requiring high performance computers can get regular access to the Spanish Supercomputing Network (RES) (BSC-CNS, etc.) or even the PRACE (Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe).
Xavier Daura Ribera
Composition of the academic tribunal for the PhD programme
- The coordinator of the PhD programme
- One representatives of each of the other universities involved in the PhD programme
- One representative of the Barcelona Bioinformatics Association (BIB)
Institut de Biotecnologia i de Biomedicina
Contact: Elisabet Carrascosa / Lourdes Benítez
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
University of Girona
University of Lleida
Open University of Catalonia
Universitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya
Universitat Rovira i Virgili
University of Barcelona
Departaments o instituts vinculats:
Institut de Biotecnologia i de Biomedicina de la UAB (IBB)
Association Bioinformatics Barcelona (BIB)
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail