PhD in Animal Medicine and Health
IntroductionThis PhD in Animal Medicine and Health derives from the PhD in Animal Medicine and Health regulated by RD 778/1998, which received the Quality award in 2003-2004 from the Ministry of Science and Innovation. In recent years the PhD programme has adapted to the new Spanish legal frameworks (RD 56/2005 & RD 1393/2007) and the framework of the European Higher Education Area, and the Quality award has been renewed to date, when the programme received the Pathway to Excellence Award for the 2013-2014 academic year.
This programme offers preparation for research in Animal Medicine and Health adapted to the research lines offered in the departments of Animal Medicine and Surgery and Animal Health and Anatomy, in collaboration with other institutions such as the Veterinary Hospital Foundation; the Research Centre for Animal Health and the Animal Biotechnology and Gene Therapy.
Applicants must have previous studies in health sciences, preferably veterinary medicine. This PhD programme is aimed at graduates in veterinary medicine or other areas, who have a university master's degree in the field of health sciences or veterinary medicine.
- Veterinary medicine graduates have direct access to the PhD programme in Animal Medicine and Health without the need to take bridging courses, as the bachelor's degree final project and the practical rotation are assumed to include research credits similar to those of the master's degree.
- Those with a bachelor's degree of fewer than 300 ECTS credits or a pre-EHEA bachelor's degree need to take a master's degree in veterinary medicine, or a related subject.
- Depending on the subject of the thesis, direct access to this programme may also be available to applicants with a bachelor's degree of 300 or more ECTS credits in a health-science subject other than veterinary medicine.
The principal career option provided by this PhD programme is that of joining R&D departments in companies working in agrofood, pharmaceuticals and animal health, or public or private research centres.
Objectives and justificationThe PhD programme in Animal Medicine and Health has the main objective of preparing researcher in the field of veterinary medicine, offering the scientific and methodological bases that will allow them to carry out their research. The purpose of this is to equip PhD students to be able to start, follow through and complete complex, original and innovative research in the field of veterinary medicine or animal health. The intention is therefore to produce PhDs who can carry out high quality research. It also aims to consolidate the diversity of viewpoints and approaches as well as the balance between basic and applied research.
Laila Darwich Soliva
Composition of the academic tribunal for the PhD programme
The academic committee of this PhD programme is made up of:
- The coordinator of the PhD programme in Animal Medicine and Health
- A member of the Department of Animal Health and Anatomy
- A member of the Department of Animal Medicine and Surgery
- A member of the Center for Research in Animal Health
- A member of the Fundació Hospital Clínic Veterinari
Department of Animal Health and Anatomy and of Animal Medicine and Surgery
Enrique Regy Rodríguez / Carina Clavell Fuentez
Phones: 93 581 2153 / 93 581 4943
This PhD programme obtained the prestigious Mention for Excellence of the Ministry of Education for the RD 1393/2007, which enabled the program could be submitted to calls for mobility grants for students and teachers, and that had other advantages in public calls.
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
Català, Castellano, English
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Department of Animal Health and Anatomy
Department of Animal Medicine and Surgery
Centre de Biotecnologia Animal i de Teràpia Gènic
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail