PhD in Economics, Management and Organization (Business Economics)
PhD students can progress further in their area of research through stays abroad, which may, when appropriate, come within the framework of bilateral joint-supervision agreements with a foreign university (thesis under joint international supervision) and within the International Doctoral Research Component. Stays abroad can also be made under Erasmus agreements.
You can make stays abroad (mainly in Europe) with both Erasmus Studies and Erasmus Internships. In the following links you will find the call and the calendars to request them:
PhD thesis under joint international supervision
On the proposal of the academic tribunal for a PhD programme, the UAB may make agreements with foreign universities or centres of higher education that are authorised to award PhD qualifications for the purpose of preparing the PhD thesis.
In that case the PhD student will carry out research under the control and responsibility of a thesis supervisor in each of the institutions in the agreement, and these in turn will each award the PhD qualification on the basis of a single thesis.
Joint supervision agreements may only be signed during the first year of the research work, counted from the day the student is accepted on the PhD programme.
The period for working on the thesis will be split between the two centres and the minimum stay at the UAB must ne a total of nine months, which may be divided into shorter periods.
See the detailed application procedure for joint international supervision (in Spanish).
International Doctoral Research Component
The PhD qualification may also include the International Doctoral Research Component, as long as the following conditions are fulfilled:
- During the training period necessary to obtain the qualification of PhD, the candidate must have been outside Spain for a minimum of three months in a higher education institution or research centre of prestige, and have carried out research or study there. The period and the activities must be assessed by the supervisor and approved by the academic tribunal, and must be included in the students' PhD activities report. The period may be divided as long and the total is not less than three months but must be spent at a single institution.
- Part of the PhD thesis, at least the abstract and conclusions, must be written in one of the usual languages for scientific communication in that field of knowledge, different from any of the official languages in Spain. This regulation does not apply when the periods abroad, the reports and the experts involve a Spanish-speaking country.
- That at least two PhD holding experts from a non-Spanish higher education institution or research centre have submitted their reports on the PhD thesis.
- That at least one of the experts belongs to a non-Spanish higher education institution or research centre, holds a PhD, and is different from the person responsible for the period abroad, formed part of the PhD examination panel.
- The defence of the PhD thesis must take place at the Spanish university where the candidate is registered or, in the case of joint doctoral programmes, in any of the participating universities or under the terms stated in the collaboration agreements.
See the detailed application procedure for the International Doctoral Research Component (in Spanish).
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Additional information: https://pagines.uab.cat/demo/