EU and Schengen

Legal procedures for European researchers

Professors and researchers who are EU citizens (or Schengen area) new have no legal formalities to complete before coming to Spain.
After arriving, people belonging to European Union who intend to reside in Spain for a period of time longer than three months must register at the Central Registry Office for Foreigners (Registro Central de Extranjeros) in order to be issued a certificate of registration and an identity number for foreigners (NIE - Número de Identificación de Extranjeros). This NIE number is also necessary for the legal procedures related to your contract.

The certificate of registration must be obtained at the National Police Station (make a previous appointment here).

The documents you will need to provide for the certificate of registration are the following:

  • Two photocopies of the registration form: EX18
  • A valid passport or national identity card (original and one photocopy)
  • A letter from HR with details of your contract (you will get it from Human Resources, to do it they will need in advance the date of your appointment).
  • Tax 790 code 012: option < Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión >.

Check any questions regarding the registration procedure in our ISS office.