Frequently asked questions about the rules on continuation of studies

Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions about rules on continuation of studies.

These rules set out the conditions for continuing on courses and stipulate the number of credits to be obtained each academic year.

  • The final grade is recorded in a single assessment report.
  • The grade of "absent" exhausts all rights corresponding to registration.
  • Students must enrol on basic or mandatory subjects or modules before enrolling on new ones.
  • It is not compulsory to enrol on optional subjects or modules even if these have not been passed.

  • Number of enrolments possible on a subject: three plus one extraordinary enrolment.

  • First-year students: 60 credits minimum.
  • Students in all other years: 42 credits minimum.
  • All students: 78 credits maximum.

  • First-year students: 30 credits minimum.
  • Students in all other years: 24 credits minimum.

  • 30 credits must be obtained over two years.
  • In order to register for the second year, 12 credits must have been obtained.
  • In order to register for the third year, 60 credits corresponding to the first and second year must have been obtained
  • In order to register for the fourth year, the entire first year must have been passed and 120 credits obtained for the first, second and third years.
  • In order to register for the bachelor's degree final project two thirds of the total number of credits on the syllabus must have been obtained.

If you wish to completely cancel or make a change to your registration you can submit a request to the Academic Management Service (Gestió Acadèmica) within the established periods. The request should be addressed to the office of the dean or the director of your centre.

  • In the first period for making requests, you may ask for first- and second-semester subjects to be modified. In the second period you may ask for second-semester subjects to be modified, if you have not already requested this and if it will not imply an increase in the registration fee.
  • To cancel core subjects and mandatory subjects that you have not passed, you will need to cancel the new subjects that you have enrolled on as well.
  • The fee for modifying registrations is paid by direct debit in a single instalment, and will not be added to any other outstanding payments. Payment will be collected after the date of the resolution.
  • Once the registration has been cancelled or modified, this will be recorded on the academic transcript and cannot be revoked.
  • Modifications to registration will have the corresponding effect on students who have applied for grants offered or managed by the UAB.

A refund is only possible if the cancellation or modification takes place for reasons attributable to the UAB or for duly justified reasons on the part of the student.

If you have cancelled your registration because the Office for Guidance on University Access (OOAU) has given you a place on another course, you will be entitled to a refund only until the date specified on the Decree on public prices, except for the amount paid for processing your academic transcript.

If you have cancelled your registration completely, a place will be reserved for you for the following academic year only, provided you have paid the registration fee. This is applicable only once, and only to students coming to the UAB for the first time.

  • A request must be made to the office of the dean or the director of the centre.
  • If this is unsuccessful, an appeal may be lodged before the rector, whose resolution will be based on the recommendation of the Board of Trustees.
  • If this is not upheld, an appeal can be made before the courts of law (jurisdicció contenciosa-administrativa).
Application form

This is stipulated in the calendar.

You can only do this if you are switching from another degree, as a graduate or through the change-of-degree access path.

Students switching to UAB courses from other universities are subject to the rules on continuation of studies from the moment they join the UAB and their previous academic record at the university of origin is not taken into consideration.