Residence card renewal

Consult the status of your NIE application on the following link:


From the entry into force of the Law 39/2015, the student permit renewal applications must be submitted thorugh electronic means (in the Foreigners Office Website or in the Electronic Register) or personally at any Register Office or in the Government General Registration Office, at 12, Bergara Street (Barcelona).

In order to submit application through the Internet, you must obtain an Electronic Signature in this website. After sending the application for electronic signature, you must visit your closer Registration Office or the General Register in the Rectorate building.

The IWP can check your student permit renewal application before submitting it. Furthermore, we can help you in obtaining your electronic signature, in case you are submitting your application through the Internet, and provide support on electronic procedures.


1. Residence tax: The TAX must be paid before presenting the renewal application and a copy must be provided of the receipt of payment along with the other documentation. Paying the tax does not automatically imply that renewal has been granted but it is not possible to favourably resolve the application unless it can be shown that the corresponding fees have been paid. If you have any problems downloading this PDF, you will also find the document at the end of this page.

2. Official Form Ex-00 original + 1 photocopy).  If you have problems in downloading this link, you can find the document at the bottom of this page.

3. Valid passport + photocopy

4. Photocopy of your Student Residence Card (front and back)

5. Certified copy of your enrolment application, and receipt of payment or document accrediting you are a grant holder (You can ask for a copy of the bank transfer; if you are a master's or doctoral student, you may ask for a receipt of payment at the Graduate School Administration Office).

6. Certified photocopy of last year's academic transcript if applicable, or a letter from the thesis tutor or director (you will find a draft at the bottom of this page) in the case of research projects and doctoral theses.

7. If you have changed your residence, you must present the up-to-date Certificate of census Registration.

8. Economic means (check the table here).

9. Photocopy of the medical insurance policy

From June 25th, the Social Security card will not be considered enough for the NIE renewal procedure. It will be needed a "Entitlement to medical assistance", issued in one of the National Institute of Social Security offices.
If it is not possible, it will be needed a private medical insurance.

This private medical insurance needs to ensure no less than 100.000 euros in the basic services (hospitalization, etc.), without gaps of coverage or co-payments.

The insurance company OMNIBUS is offering an insurance for incoming international students, researchers and professors of UAB that covers medical expenses referring to illness, accidents and repatriation, among others.

You will find more information about it benefits and rates in the following link, where you can also purchase it on line.

IMPORTANT: To be applicable for this insurance you have to be enrolled at UAB. Therefore you have to enter in the application form your NIU (the identification number of enrolled students, researchers or professors), NIA (the identification number of admitted students, researchers or professors) or NIP (the identification number of international exchange students).

For more information:
International Support Service (ISS)
Building Biblioteca de Comunicació i Hemeroteca General, Plaça Cívica
Campus de Bellaterra
Tel. + 34 93 581 22 10
Fax + 34 93 586 80 25

Monday to Friday, from 9.30am to 3pm


Academic Certification
Renewal Fees for the NIE
Insurance policy benefits CUM LAUDE MOVILIDAD "IN"