Foundation Year

One or two semesters in Barcelona for students who have completed high school or secondary education

  • Place: Casa Convalescència (Barcelona)
  • Period: 2 semesters. Module 1. Semester 1 (for non-Spanish speakers): 27/09/2021 – 01/04/2022. Module 2. Semester 2: 04/04/2022 – 29/06/2022
  • Price: Tuition fees Study Abroad Programmes
  • Mode: Face to face classes with online support
  • Contact:
    +34 93 443 50 29



  • Spanish or English courses to reach the B2 level required for university admission
  • Undergraduate university subjects taught in Spanish or English.
  • Once the Foundation Year has been successfully passed, students will be able to apply for the degrees in Tourism, Tourism in English, Hotel Management, and Prevention and Integral Security.
  • Advice on preparing for university pre-registration and homologation of degrees.
  • At the end of the program, students receive a certification with the subjects and credits obtained.


  • One or two semesters in Barcelona, an open and welcoming city, with plenty of cultural and social activities for international students.
  • For students with an A2 level of Spanish or English who have completed secondary education and wish to take one of the following degrees.
    - Degree in Tourism
    - Degree in Tourism in English
    - Degree in Hotel Management
    - Degree in Comprehensive Prevention and Safety.
  • Academic structure: Itinerary in Spanish
    - First Module (only for non-Spanish speakers): Spanish language classes to reach the required B2 level.
    - Second Module: subjects taught in Spanish.
  • Academic structure: Itinerary in English
    - First semester (non-English speaking only): English language classes to reach the required B2 level.
    - Second semester: subjects taught in English.
  • Once the Foundation program has been approved, students will be able to apply for access to the degrees in Tourism, Tourism in English, Hotel Management, and Prevention and Integral Security, subject to university pre-registration and degree approval.
  • Students who successfully complete the programme will receive a UAB Languages certificate and another from Study Abroad-FUAB with the subjects and credits studied, which may be validated in their future university studies. 
  • Admission requirements
    - Be 18 years of age or older on 31/12/2022.
    - Have completed the last year of secondary education (baccalaureate or equivalent [EQF4]).

Itinerary in Spanish

Module 1: (for non-Spanish speakers only): October 2022 * - March 2023
* Start date for students with A2 level of Spanish.

  • Students without prior knowledge of Spanish will have to take a preparatory course during the months of August and September 2022.
  • Students with other levels of knowledge of the Spanish language are advised to contact for more information.
  • Students without the required level of Spanish language can also access the Foundation Year program if they successfully pass the A1 and A2 level Spanish courses at UAB Idiomes Barcelona during the months of August and September.

Module 2: April 2023 - July 2023


Itinerary in English

Module 1: (non-English speaking only): October 2022 * - March 2023
* Start date for students with A2 level of English.

Module 2: April 2023 - July 2023

UAB Study Abroad Foundation Year program prices

The price of the Foundation Year is the same for the Itineraries in Spanish or English. Candidates will be required to take a language proficiency test to be admitted.

Module 1:

  • Students who accredit level A2 - Start of the course October 2022 -4980 €
  • Students who accredit level B1.1 - Start of the course November 2022 - € 4,150
  • Students accrediting level B1.2 - Start of the course December 2022 - € 3,400
  • Students who accredit level B2.1 - Start of the course January 2023 - € 2,550
  • Students who accredit level B2.2 - Start of the course February 2023 - € 1,740
  • Students who accredit level B2.3 - Start of the course March 2023 - 870 €

Students who accredit a higher level or are native speakers of the language can access module 2 directly.

Module 2:

12 ECTS € 1,488 (2 subjects)
18 ECTS € 2,232 (3 subjects)
24 ECTS € 2,976 (4 subjects)
30 ECTS € 3,720 (5 subjects)

Students who require a visa to travel to Spain must enrol a minimum of 24 ECTS credits in module 2. 

Enrolment Period

Registration open until February 28th 2023.

Admission requirements

  • Students must be 18 years of age or older on the 31/12/2022.
  • Candidates must have completed the last year of secondary education (baccalaureate or equivalent [EQF4]) and be in possession of a high school certificate translated into Spanish at the beginning of the program.
  • Students must hold a health insurance plan with coverage in Europe.

Access: Itinerary in Spanish

  • To Module 1 (for non-Spanish speakers only): via a Spanish language test or by presenting an official level certificate (DELE or SIELE) to prove at least an A2 level of Spanish.
  • To Module 2 for Spanish speakers: direct.
  • To Module 2 for non-Spanish speakers: via successful completion of Module 1. In Module 2, students do 2 obligatory subjects and can choose between 1 and 2 additional subjects (12 to 24 ECTS).

Access: Itinerary in English

  • Module 1 English Language (for non-English speakers only): through an English language test or with an official level certificate (IELTS, TOEFL or similar) with a minimum A2 level of English.
  • Access to Module 2 for native English speakers: direct.
  • Access to Module 2 for non-English speakers: After successfully passing Module 1 or accrediting a B2 level of English.


Those candidates for the Foundation YEAR who do not have an A2 level of Spanish will have to take a preparatory course at UAB Idiomes in the months of August and September.

For more information and registration, contact

Once enrolled in the preparatory course, they will be able to register for the Foundation Year.

Check all the enrolment information in this link.

Foundation Year for Tourism & Prevention and Safety Degrees Regulations

A minimum number of students is required to complete the program, if this minimum is not reached, the UAB Foundation and the UAB reserve the right to cancel the course.

Any foreign student coming to a Catalan university must have medical insurance cover.

If you are from outside of the European Economic Area, you should check whether there is an agreement for healthcare between the Social Security of your country and the Social Security of Spain. If there is such an agreement, you should submit the necessary documents in your country so that you can have free access to Spanish public healthcare.

In the case of renewing your Residence Card (NIE, TIE) you have to check if the above mentioned document replaces the obligation to present a private medical insurance regarding illness and accidents (Social Security does not include the repatriation to your home country). For more information, contact the ISS.

If your country has no healthcare agreement with the Spanish Social Security system, you should take out private insurance cover for the whole time of your stay in Spain.

The private medical insurances need to ensure no less than 100.000 euros in the basic services (hospitalization, cover for repatriation to home country, cover for COVID-19, etc.), without gaps of coverage or co-payments.

Students enrolling courses for less than 90 days, if by nationality visa is not needed, they will be able to travel without it and only the documentation providing enrolment in their courses will be required. If by nationality visa is needed, they must apply for a C-type visa (Schengen) to be able to come to Spain and as well the documentation providing enrolment in their courses will be required.  

Students who study in Member States or Associated Schengen States and who have the correspondent permit or visa and health insurance, if they are going to the country where they are studying, and that entry takes place during the academic year or the 15 days prior the beginning.  

Likewise, in all the cases, the countries in which PCRs are required, as established by the Spanish Ministry of Health, must also be considered.  

If you are a Non-European Union citizen and you are preparing to study in Spain, you need to arrange your legal situation, depending on the duration of your stay.

Mobility within EU countries: All of those non-UE citizens who hold a valid EU residence permit can enter Spain without applying for a new VISA as long as their EU residence permit is still valid. Check the steps for this procedure here.

Period of studies up to three months:

  1. The European Directive EC Nº 539/2001 March 15th, 2001 includes in its annex II the countries whose nationals are exempted from the obligation to obtain a visa for study periods of up to three months. Those have to fulfill the legal requisites described in article 5 of the Schengen Code, and in case of having to prolong the stay, it is possible to request an extension for a maximum of three more months (for more information consult Form 02 from the government).
  2. The European Directive EC Nº 539/2001 of March 15th, 2001 includes in its annex I the countries whose nationals are submitted to the visa obligation (type C) to enter the Schengen Area. For more information, consult here.

Period of studies up to six months:

There is a visa (type D) for studies that allows you to stay in Spain for a period of up to 180 days (Visado D Estudios hasta 180 días). This type of visa does not allow you to obtain the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE).

Period of studies longer than six months:

Those non-EU citizens who are going to study in Spain for a period of more than six months have to apply for an open visa for studies (type D). This type of visa (Visado D Estudios, Investigación) is valid for three months for entering the Schengen Area and once you have entered Spain you have to obtain the Student Residence Card for Foreigners (TIE) in order to remain legally in Spain. For more information, consult here.

The TIE is a temporary permit that permits you to stay in the country for the period of your studies. The card is valid for a maximum of one academic year and can be renewed annually until you finish your studies. Your academic performance will be taken into account when renewing your permit. The document gives you the right to remain legally in the country while you study.

You will have a maximum of 30 days after entering the European Union to begin the process of applying for the Student Residence Card (TIE). For this, you will need to present your flight ticket (boarding ticket) or the stamp on your passport showing the date in which you entered the European Union.

You can apply for a visa through your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

Important: A visa can never be changed once you are in Spain. The only visa valid is the one obtained from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate before coming to Spain.

Important: All foreign official documents must be previously legalized and, if necessary, must be translated into Spanish or official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

For more information, see the Official Information Form nº 9 of the ministry (in Spanish).

Lost or stolen visa:

To report your visa lost or stolen, fax the police report (preferably in Spanish or English) to:

Sección Visados
C/Ruiz de Alcorcón, 5
28071 Madrid
Fax: 91 394 86 67/69

Be sure to include your personal data, an address where you wish to receive the confirmation of your visa and an e-mail address if you wish to receive a copy of this confirmation beforehand.