FAQs for international students


10 Basic Questions

01 What language is spoken at UAB?
As in all of Catalonia, the language of Universitat Autònoma de Barceona is Catalan, which shares official status with Spanish. Some 60% to 70% of all undergraduate lectures are held in Catalan. The percentage of postgraduate lectures is lower. Students can write up papers and exams both in Catalan and Spanish, and sometimes even in English.

UAB Language Service offer Catalan courses for new students wishing to learn the language. These courses are free of charge.
For more information:

02 Where can I ask about Accommodation?
The University Village (Vila Universitària) is strategically located on campus and offers comfortable accommodation for students.
For more information:

There are plenty of other accommodation options off campus such as rooms or flats to let with other students.
These websites can help you in your search:

03 How much does it cost to live in Barcelona?
You will need to bear in mind the expenses you might have and adapt your budget accordingly. The basic expenses when living in Barcelona include rent, food, transport and leisure, and can vary from €700 to €1000.

04 Where can I apply for grants or other financial aid?
All students enrolled in universities in Spain can apply for a general grant or a mobility grant which is offered by the Ministry for Education. Students from non-EU countries must have a residence permit (not a student permit) to apply for these grants.
Special grants for foreign students must be applied for in your home country.
The UAB web portal has a grant search engine The search engine includes not only all the financial aid offered by the UAB but also some calls for applications from other institutions which may be of interest.
UAB offers enrolment grants for some studies and the possibility of collaborating in different university areas under a student grant. 

05 Is there an international students meeting point?
Yes, it's called the International Support Service (ISS). UAB provides its international students with a meeting point and information service, where you will be assisted in issues such as getting your residence permit or applying for grants, as well as all the information you may need on the University and its services. The office is located at the Plaça Cívica, but you can also contact us by email at:

06 Where can I get help on applying for a student visa?
You can contact the International Support Service (ISS). Staff members will help you with all visa procedures. Remember that all students coming to study in Spain must obtain a Type D Student visa before they leave their home country.

07 What about the admission letter? When should I apply and where?
The admission letter can be applied for through the coordinator of the master's degree or by sending a message to if it is an official master's degree.

08 What are the important academic dates?
Universities in Spain begin lectures in September/October and end in June or July. During these 9-10 months there are two vacation periods. One in December for Christmas and one in March or April for Spring Break. The academic year is usually divided into two terms.

09 Should I make my qualifications valid in Spain before registering for a postgraduate programme?
There is no need to if you are interested in an official master's degree. You can enrol in the programme if your qualifications are equivalent to the same official university studies in Spain. You must have a university degree to enrol in other postgraduate programmes, however. For this you will need to validate your qualifications through the Spanish Ministry for Education.
You can also pre-register for a postgraduate programme if you are a few credits away from completing your studies. However, your enrolment will depend on whether or not you've completed your studies.

10 Can I study and work with my Student Visa?
Current legislation allows students to work while in possession of a student visa and residence permit (NIE estudiante), as long as you do not work full-time and the work does not interfere with your studies. The UAB International Support Service can help you with these documents.