Legal procedures for students from the European Union
Students from the European Union
Professors and students who are EU citizens have no legal formalities to complete before coming to Spain.
All students belonging to a European Union or European Economic Area member state, as well as the Swiss Confederation, and who intend to reside in Spain for a period of time longer than three months must register at the Central Registry Office for Foreigners (Registro Central de Extranjeros) in order to be issued a certificate of registration and an identity number for foreigners (NIE - Número de Identificación de Extranjeros).
The certificate of registration must be obtained at the National Police Station of your place of residence (make a previous appointment here).
The documents you will need to provide are the following:
- Two photocopies of the registration form (EX18)
- A valid passport or national identity card (original and one photocopy)
- Original and copy of the Enrolment or Arrival Certificate
- European Healthcare Card or Medical Insurance
- Census registration (find how to get it here)
- Sworn statement of having economic means during your stance in Spain (model)
- Tax 790 Code 012 (12€): Option "Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la unión".
At the International Support Service we will provide you with more information about the documents you need to present and the address of the police station closest to your place of residence.