Gap Year Programme

A semester in Barcelona for students who have completed secondary education and are looking for new experiences



  • A unique immersive experience to prepare students for their next academic step
  • Elective subjects and 2 language options (12 or 30 ECTS)
  • In the vibrant city of Barcelona, with classes in a World Heritage Campus
  • UAB certificate


  • A semester in Barcelona, to enjoy the city and everything it has to offer in culture and leisure
  • In a World Heritage Campus near to Gaudí's Sagrada Família
  • A unique immersive experience that prepares students for the next step
  • For students who have completed secondary education in their home country and are looking for new experiences while exploring a different country and cultures
  • Choose from 5 elective subjects and 2 language options (12 or 30 ECTS)
  • On successful completion of programme students receive a UAB certificate that can be validated for credits in the future

Fall 2024

  • Start date: 5th September 2024
  • End date: 12th December 2024

UAB Study Abroad - Gap Year Programme

Tuition fees for Fall 2024

  • 18 ECTS 2,557€
  • 24 ECTS 3,285€
  • 30 ECTS 3,980€

Tuition fees for all UAB Study Abroad programmes

Enrolment Period 

  • Fall Term 2024: from 11th March to 28th June 2024.

Enrolment requirements

  • Students must be 18 years of age or older on the 31/08/2023.
  • Students must have successfully completed their secondary education: baccalaureate or equivalent (EQF 4).
  • Students must have a B2 level of English if they are not native speakers.
  • Students may choose between 12 and 30 ECTS.
  • For full-time students who need a study visa there is a minimum requirement of 24 ECTS.

Academic accommodations
It is important that you provide us your academic accommodations before the start of the programme, so we are able to ensure you have the resources needed. Please note that we cannot guarantee you will have access to the accommodations requested if you don’t submit these prior the begging of the programme. You can send your accommodations to once you have completed your enrolment.

Check all the enrolment information in this link. 

Any foreign student coming to a Catalan university must have medical insurance cover.

If you are from outside of the European Economic Area, you should check whether there is an agreement for healthcare between the Social Security of your country and the Social Security of Spain. If there is such an agreement, you should submit the necessary documents in your country so that you can have free access to Spanish public healthcare.

In the case of renewing your Residence Card (NIE, TIE) you have to check if the above mentioned document replaces the obligation to present a private medical insurance regarding illness and accidents (Social Security does not include the repatriation to your home country). For more information, contact the ISS.

If your country has no healthcare agreement with the Spanish Social Security system, you should take out private insurance cover for the whole time of your stay in Spain.

The private medical insurances need to ensure no less than 100.000 euros in the basic services (hospitalization, cover for repatriation to home country, cover for COVID-19, etc.), without gaps of coverage or co-payments.