Bachelor's degrees We offer more than 80 bachelor's degrees

Legal procedures for EU students

Students from the European Union

Professors and students who are EU citizens have no legal formalities to complete before coming to Spain.

All students belonging to a European Union or European Economic Area member state, as well as the Swiss Confederation, and who intend to reside in Spain for a period of time longer than three months must register at the Central Registry Office for Foreigners (Registro Central de Extranjeros) in order to be issued a certificate of registration and an identity number for foreigners (NIE - Número de Identificación de Extranjeros).

The certificate of registration must be obtained  at the National Police Station of your place of residence (make a previous appointment here).

The documents you will need to provide are the following:

  1. Two photocopies of the registration form (EX18).Instructions to fill in the EX18 form
  2. A valid passport or national identity card (original and one photocopy)
  3. Original and copy of the Enrolment or Arrival Certificate
  4. European Healthcare Card or Medical Insurance
  5. Census registration (find how to get it here)
  6. Sworn statement of having economic means during your stance in Spain (model)
  7. Tax 790 Code 012 (12€): Option "Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la unión".

At the International Support Service we will provide you with more information about the documents you need to present and the address of the police station closest to your place of residence.

Health Cover for European Union citizens

Any foreign student, researcher or professor coming to UAB must have medical insurance cover. 

If you are a citizen of the European Union or a citizen of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and you are entitled to social security in your country, you should apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card makes visiting a state-run hospital, doctor's surgery or dental practice in European countries easier and means you will be treated in the same way as someone who lives in that country.

You can obtain a card free of charge by contacting your local health insurance institution as each individual country is responsible for producing or distributing the card in its own territory.

Take into account that the card does not cover private health care or repatriation costs. Visit the EHIC website to find out more: 
Once you arrive in Barcelona, to obtain medical care you should go to your nearest public healthcare centre (Centre d'Assistència Primària, CAP) and show your EHIC together with your identity document (ID card or passport). 

More information on CAP's, hospitals, private medical centers, etc. you find on the webpage of Barcelona's City Council (clicking at "Health and care").
Public Healthcare Centres (CAP):