Continuation of studies FAQs

Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions about rules on continuation of studies.

These rules set out the conditions for continuing on courses and stipulate the number of credits to be obtained each academic year.

  • The final grade is recorded in a single assessment report.
  • The grade of "absent" exhausts all rights corresponding to registration.
  • Students must enrol on basic or mandatory subjects or modules before enrolling on new ones.
  • It is not compulsory to enrol on optional subjects or modules even if these have not been passed.



  • Number of enrolments possible on a subject: three plus one extraordinary enrolment.

  • First-year students: 60 credits minimum.
  • Students in all other years: 42 credits minimum.
  • All students: 78 credits maximum.

  • First-year students: 30 credits minimum.
  • Students in all other years: 24 credits minimum.

Programs with only virtual teaching may establish a minimum number of enrollment credits of less than 30.

Students who choose to enroll for less than 30 credits, at the time of enrollment, must request authorization that will always be accepted by the Center's Management and where they will be informed of the deadlines and compliance with the Permanence Regime, according to the article article 133 Term of permanence (article modified by agreement of the Plenary of the Social Council of July 23, 2015. Modification applicable as of the academic year 2015/2016) of Title V: permanence at the UAB (Title modified by virtue of the agreements of the Plenary of the Social Council of June 20, 2011 and July 23, 2015).

  • 30 credits must be obtained over two years.
  • In order to register for the second year, 12 credits must have been obtained.
  • In order to register for the third year, 60 credits corresponding to the first and second year must have been obtained
  • In order to register for the fourth year, the entire first year must have been passed and 120 credits obtained for the first, second and third years.
  • In order to register for the bachelor's degree final project two thirds of the total number of credits on the syllabus must have been obtained.

You can only do this if you are switching from another degree, as a graduate or through the change-of-degree access path.

Students switching to UAB courses from other universities are subject to the rules on continuation of studies from the moment they join the UAB and their previous academic record at the university of origin is not taken into consideration.