PhD in Translation and Intercultural Studies
IntroductionThe PhD programme in Translation and Intercultural Studies, in the Department of Translation and Interpreting at the UAB, allows PhD students to train in different lines of research associated with the broad areas of knowledge: Translation and Interpreting and East Asian Studies. The programme derives from a PhD programme that has run for more than twenty years and has always been recognised for its quality through the Excellence award (the old Quality award). These distinctions are recognition of the scientific and technical and training assets that the programme possesses as well as the researchers and research groups that take part in it.
The programme offers PhD students a first class academic environment in which to carry out their research. Highlights are the Permanent Research and PhD Seminar, Young Researchers Symposium and the PhD Summer School. Different collaboration agreements with other organisations also facilitate mobility of PhD students who can find an interdisciplinary and enriching environment in which to do their doctoral research.
The specific requirements have been established to ensure an income profile that maximizes the probabilities of success in the program.
The student must have deep knowledge of the concepts and methodologies of the fields of knowledge and ability to assimilate new knowledge.
He is also specifically required to have a proficiency of the working languages of the program at C2 level (except in cases justified by the thesis study object), as well as an understanding of the communication languages of the program at B2 level.
The doctorate is mainly aimed at students of degrees in Translation and Interpreting, Linguistics, Philology or related qualifications, as well as East Asian Studies and related qualifications, who have completed a master's degree in these fields of knowledge, or students from other degrees who have completed a master's degree in the areas of the program.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options:
- Teaching in the areas covered by the PhD programme.
- Research in the areas covered by the programme, in both public and private institutions.
- Local or international public administration.
- Private companies working in areas covered by the programme.
Objectives and justificationThe PhD programme in Translation and Intercultural Studies aims to prepare PhD students in one of the two fields related to the areas of knowledge in the department: Translation and Interpreting, and East Asian Studies.
The final objective is those students learn to carry out original research using critical analysis, while acquiring the necessary capacity for communicating their results to the scientific community and society at large.
Besides the physical resources for teaching and research that the UAB provides for all its PhD programmes, students on this programme can also make use of the following research infrastructures.
- Multimedia classrooms for experiments: The faculty has five multimedia classrooms, with 137 computers. For more information: Multimedia classrooms.
- Interpreting booths: The Faculty has three interpreting rooms, with 54 soundproofed and fully-equipped booths. For more information: Interpreting rooms.
- Students have access to the UAB's libraries and to all the general material resources mentioned above. The nearest library is the Humanities library, which has a main building and a separate journals and magazines room.
- Some research groups on the programme have specific laboratories where students can work on their projects.
Amelia Sáiz LópezDeputy Coordinator
AdministrationDepartament of Traslation and Interpreting
08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona)
Phone: 93 581 30 54
Fax: 93 581 27 62
PhD in Translation and Intercultural Studies' Website
Administrative support: Natalia Estremera (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
Catalan, Spanish, English and in any working language used in the departament.
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail