Sustainability Action Plan
Healthy and Sustainable Plan 2018-2022
The Healthy and Sustainable Campus Plan for the period 2018-2022, approved by the Governing Council on 3 May 2018, is in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations Agenda 2030.
The elaboration of this plan is based on the assessment of the previous plan (UAB Healthy Plan 2013-2017 and UAB Sustainability Plan 2013-2017). This balance sheet has been used to draw up an initial diagnosis, which was later used to initiate a participatory process, both internally (offices, entities and units that develop actions within the Campus SiS project) and at the level of the entire university community.
This 2018-2022 SiS Plan contemplates 4 axes and 12 strategic lines:
- Community (physical activity; food; emotional well-being; responsible and solidarity values).
- Buildings (energy and water; waste).
- Territory (territorial planning; mobility; agroforestry areas).
- Transversal (communication; participation; green university).
More information (document in Catalan): Pla Campus Saludable i Sostenible 2018-2022
In this period, the Agenda 21 process is integrated into the Healthy and Sustainable Campus (SiS) project. The SiS Campus includes the Healthy Plan and the Sustainable Plan.
1.Action plan for sustainability
The UAB Sustainability Plan for 2013-2017 gives continuity to the Sustainability Action Plans that have been implemented at the University since 2002 to continue advancing and improving on the challenge of being a more sustainable and environmentally friendly university.
In particular, this new Plan has as its background the UAB Sustainability Action Plan for 2002-2010 (revised in 2006 for the period 2007-2010) and the proposed UAB Environmental Sustainability Action Plan for 2011-2015 (a plan which was never submitted to the Governing Council for approval).
The action plans are organized in a hierarchy with three different levels of concreteness: they are structured in several strategic lines containing different programmes and which are concretized in actions. The plans also provide for the possibility of drawing up more specific sectoral plans.
Structure of the Environmental Sustainability Action Plan 2013-2017.
- 4 strategic lines:
- L1. Territory and biodiversity. It includes territorial planning, mobility and management of the agro-forestry spaces on the campus.
- L2. Management of flows: energy, water and waste.
- L3. Internal greening. The aim is to incorporate environmental criteria into the various activities of the UAB, such as the acquisition and contracting of goods and services.
- L4. Environmental communication and participation.
- 12 programmes.
- 31 actions.
2. Follow-up plan
The Monitoring Plan for the 2013-2017 Sustainability Plan allows for a periodic evaluation of the implementation of the Action Plan, to check that the appropriate strategies are being followed and that the expected objectives are being achieved. To this end, the monitoring plan has a series of tools that must be used to monitor the implementation process (degree of compliance with the Plan) and to evaluate the evolution of the University in terms of sustainability (monitoring indicators).
- The Monitoring Plan contains 21 monitoring indicators.
- The degree of compliance with the 2013-2017 Action Plan was 77.3%.