Funds for Open Access fees
UAB researchers have the possibility to publish their articles in Open Access (OA) without paying Article Processing Charges (APCs) for several hybrid journals OR with discounts for selected gold OA journals - thanks to transformative agreements between CRUE-CSIC and major publishers (for more information, check Open Access policy UAB).
The Maria de Maeztu Programme at ICTA-UAB is also covering Open Access fees for those publications (i.e., research papers, reviews, comments) accepted or published in 2023.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and approve funding at the end of each month. For each publication, a maximum of 3000 euros will be refunded.
- The article must have been published or accepted in:
a) Gold Open Access Journal; b) a multidisciplinary high impact journal (e.g., Science, Nature, PNAS); c) a hybrid journal of the “Taylor & Francis” publishing group (not included in the UAB transformative agreement)
- The OA journal should have a high impact factor in the correspondent subject area and be among the top decile (D1) or first quartile (Q1) of the correspondent subject area.
- The lead author must have ICTA-UAB as primary affiliation.
- The article must have acknowledged the María de Maeztu funding [e.g. This work/research/etc. contributes to the “María de Maeztu” Programme for Units of Excellence of the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (CEX2019-000940-M), or the correspondent disclaimer of the former MdM Programme 2015-2019].
- The article must contribute directly to one of the five ICTA-UAB María de Maeztu strategic challenges
HOW TO APPLY:
Fill in the online application form and attach the following documents:
- A COPY of the published or accepted MANUSCRIPT
- A COPY of the article’s ACCEPTANCE LETTER;
- The corresponding INVOICE/document describing the publication fee.
Applications will be considered by the MdM Steering Committee members. As many papers as possible will be (re-)funded either totally or partially based on budgetary considerations and the information provided by the applicants in the application form.
In case there are more applications than funds available for a given call, articles will be ranked according to the following scoring criteria:
- The article is published in gold OA journal (3 points), high-impact journal (2 points), hybrid journal of the “Taylor & Francis” publishing group (1 point).
- The article is led by a PhD candidate (3 points), a post-doc (2 points), a senior researcher (1 point) whose primary affiliation is ICTA-UAB.
- The article involves three or more ICTA-UAB authors (3 points), two (2 points), or only one (1 point).
- The article is led by a PhD candidate or post-doc who is funded by a competitive research fellowship scheme that has limited funding for research/fieldwork/publication strategy, etc. (e.g. FPIs, FPUs, FI, BdP, JdC-for/inc) (1 point).
- The lead author, or any of the other ICTA-UAB co-authors, is/are NOT involved in a large research project that can cover publication fees (e.g. ERCs, Horizon, etc.) (1 point).
Note: the ranking will also consider if the author(s) have already received funding from previous calls, during MdM-1 and MdM-2.