The intervention and support of the Inclusion Office is essential due to their proximity to the student and the teaching staff in the faculty or school.
On the other hand, they can provide personalised guidance and advice to the student, channel the necessary formalities related to academic management and, when necessary, act as the contact person with the Dean’s office or the Head of the faculty.
The PIUNE assesses the needs and accommodations required by the student and drafts a report addressed to the Inclusion Officer of the faculty and/or centre, based on the established protocol.
- To welcome new students and inform them about the faculty and/or school.
- To offer guidance in selecting the subjects and choosing the different itineraries, along with the Degree/Postgraduate/Master's Degree coordinator, as may be necessary.
- To maintain a system of personalised tutorials that are sufficient to evaluate the academic progress of the student.
- To offer guidance about the mobility programmes.
- To guarantee universal accessibility: accessibility to information and communication and physical accessibility, as well as needs that warrant coordination with the Dean's office of the faculty.
- Pursuant to the UAB Tutorial Action Plan and the UAB Regulations on equal opportunities for persons with special educations needs, these functions will be carried out unless the student indicates otherwise or if it is observed that the student has no interest in the assistance provided by the Inclusion Officer in order to display the utmost respect for their autonomy.
- To inform the teaching staff of the educational needs of each student in the subjects for which they have registered, in accordance with the internal procedure of each faculty.
- To act as liaison between the student and the teaching staff involved in possible changes of exam dates, academic internships and other types of support or accommodations.
- To provide information about teaching methods, materials and resources available to the teaching staff. It is advisable to consult the documentation posted on the PIUNE website in Materials and resources
- To attend all meetings called with the rest of the Inclusion Officers of the faculties and/or centres in order to share different experiences and/or needs.
- To write an annual report about possible incidents and/or actions that must be taken during the academic year.
UAB regulations on Equal Opportunities for Persons with Special Needs
General state regulations
Students with special educational needs (SEN) require adapted teaching methods to guarantee equal opportunities pursuant to current law.
Royal Decree 822/2021 of 28 September, which establishes how university teaching is organised and the procedure for guaranteeing the quality thereof.
Organic Law 4/2007, of 12 April (Universities Act)
University Student Statute
Royal Decree 1791/2010 of 30 December University Student Statute
- At the beginning of the year and during the second term, the Inclusion Officer, together with the Degree coordinator and the PIUNE, may recommend that the student request modifications in their registration, considering different factors and with a specific assessment in each case. For example, reducing their study load and/or redistributing the subjects between semesters, in all cases subject to an assessment in each case.
In some cases, a tutorial may be arranged with the teaching staff responsible for the subject, the student and the PIUNE to evaluate the needs for guaranteeing access to information and communication. For example, the technologies accessible for better access to information, technical assistance in the classroom, etc.
- If, for duly-justified health reasons or due to limitations arising from their disability, the situation makes it impossible for the student to follow the classes and/or affects their academic progress and they express their need for personal and/or academic support.
- When a tutorial is necessary for guidance about curricular internships with the person responsible for this area, or to facilitate acceptance and adaptation in the internship centre.
- When guidance is necessary in relation to advanced university studies (Postgraduate, Master's Degree, Doctorate) or future career opportunities.