- Faculty of Biosciences
- Bellaterra campus
- Duration: 4 courses - 240 credits
- Places: 60
- Admission mark: 11,884
- Price per credit: 18.46 euros
- Language: Catalan (60%), Spanish (35%) and English (5%)
- Academic calendar
- Learning mode: Face-to-face learning
Biochemistry aims to explain these processes in terms of the properties and interactions of the molecules that beings are composed of. It is a discipline that offers opportunities for technical improvements that can be applied to a wide range of fields, from the pharmaceutical industry to clinical diagnosis and analysis and also food and the environment.
The degree in Biochemistry provided basic training in mathematics, physics and chemistry; basic biological contents, especially in the cellular and molecular areas; general knowledge of the different areas of biochemistry, such as the engineering of proteins, the regulation of metabolism, bioenergetics, the structure of macromolecules and clinical biochemistry; and methodological aspects such as genetic, protein, cellular, metabolic and systems engineering.
On completing the degree in Biochemistry students will be able to perform work activities in different areas, and therefore have a wide range of professional possibilities. In summarised form, career options include:
- Research in the public and private sectors, in research centres or for companies related with pharmaceutical, cosmetic, chemical, biotechnological, agro-food and clinical biochemistry.
- Quality management and control, production, product development, projects, marketing and sales in biotechnological companies (pharmaceutics, agro-food, environmental) and in the biological health sector (clinical analyses, molecular diagnosis, development and monitoring of new therapies).
- Teaching in secondary schools, technical schools, university schools and universities.
- Documentation, information and promotion of biochemistry and its advances in communication agencies, companies, science foundations, press, television, etc.