The Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) comprises a minimum of five academics or researchers with combined expertise and experience in recombinant DNA technology and the use of (human, animal and plant) pathogens who, in general terms, are able to evaluate the safety of research and teaching facilities and activities, and identify any potential risk to human health, farm production and the environment.
The IBC is currently composed of the following members.
- Dr Isidre Gibert González, by delegation from the vice-rector for research, tenured lecturer in the Department of Genetics and Microbiology.
- Dr. Sebastià Calero Garnica, Biosafety Officer.
- Dr F. Xavier Abad Morejón, Biosafety Officer and Head of IRTA-CReSA BSL3 Biocontainment Unit and BSL2 Laboratories.
- Dr Antonio Casamayor Gracia, professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Dr Esther Julián Gómez, professor in the Department of Genetics and Microbiology.
- Dr Laura Tusell Padrós, professor in the Department of Cell Biology, Physiology and Immunology.
- Gloria Villalba Mata, Head of the Greenhouse Service of the Centre for Research in Agricultural Genomics (CRAG).
- Manuel del Pino Santiago, Head of Health and Safety Office.