The BIOclusterUAB is made up of a set of research groups and facilities from the fields of Biomedicine, Biotechnology and Biodiversity belonging to the departments of Cell Biology, Physiology and Immunology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Animal Biology, Plant Biology and Ecology, and Genetics and Microbiology and to the UAB Institute of Biotechnology and Biomedicine and Institute of Neuroscience, all of them conducting research into the field of Biosciences. The faculties of Biosciences, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are also members of the cluster.
The BIOclusterUAB also includes the hospital research institutes of UAB-affiliated centres such as Vall d'Hebron, Sant Pau, Badalona, Hospital del Mar, Parc Taulí and will soon incorporate companies and spin-offs related to the biomedical activities conducted at the UAB Research Park and surroundings.
The BIOclusterUAB is part of the Campus of International Excellence which aims to be a top-level European research nucleus in which nanoscience-nanotechnology and biotechnology-biomedicine are strategic lines of research".
The initial objectives of the BIOclusterUAB are to:
- Bring together research groups in Biomedicine, Biotechnology and Biodiversity into a structure of mutual coordination.
- Create a joint and organised vision of the research tasks needed for the whole set of research assets in the field of Biosciences.
- Coordinate and promote the activities (conferences, workshops, courses) organised by its members, departments and institutes.
- Generate dissemination and promotional research initiatives which can have a greater affect than those prepared by the research groups.
- Boost academic and research interactions in the field of Biosciences.