UAB's Virtual Fair for Master's Degrees and Graduate Courses
Information sessions will be offered online from 22 to 26 February: clear up any doubts you may have directly with the coordinators of the master's degree or graduate programme. Registration is open!
- UAB-specific Master's Degree
- Code: 3853/3
- 3rd edition
- Modality: Onsite
- Credits: 60 ECTS
- Start date: 01/10/2020
- Finish date: 30/09/2021
- Places: 40
- Price: 3960 ¤
Special price 3564 ¤
Group of application:
- Teaching language: English
- Location: Escola de Postgrau i Formació Contínua Campus UAB Bellaterra / Llealitat Santsenca / Parc de Recerca Biomédica de Barcelona / Associació del Punt d'Interacció de Collserola / Can Decreix
We live in an era of growing inequalities, poverty and environmental disasters. Environmental and social problems are interrelated. Environmental problems have political causes and political solutions – they are a matter of power and inequality. Addressing these deeply rooted issues calls for system change – our program offers the knowledge and tools for thinking and bringing forward such change. We aspire to train the next generation of environmental justice activists, engaged civil servants, and entrepreneurs of the new cooperative economy – those who will put in action the best ideas for creating a society that is fair, enjoyable and ecologically sustainable.
In our Master program, you will get theoretical classes from top scholars in the fields of environmental conflicts, urban gentrification, ecological economics and governance of the commons. You will be trained in using methods to conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis of complex problems – such as multi-criteria evaluation, surveys, Q-methodology, and material flow analysis. And you will be taught by practitioners who are experts in their fields, how to set-up a new economy initiative, how to run a social or environmental justice campaign, how to write for the media, and how to engage policy-making on the local level.
Our program benefits from the fact that it takes place in Barcelona, the capital of Catalonia, a city and country at the forefront of experimentation with the commons, social justice and alternative economies. We collaborate closely with the municipality of Barcelona and several of the civil groups and cooperatives active in the city and metropolitan region. The students of our program will have the opportunity to develop their theses in such organizations, enmeshing their work in the vibrant progressive culture of the city.
Our pedagogy is based on group learning. Many of our professors are young and explore new methods of teaching. You will be asked to read and interact, as well as learn through field visits, conversations with local people engaged in grassroots alternatives. You will learn how to work in groups, and you will develop most of your assignments and your final project in groups.
Career opportunitiesThis is a master propio and on its own does not lead to doctoral studies. Its adressed for young people who want to work in:
- the Social and Solidarity Economy,
- public administration,
- Environmental Justice Organizations,
- think tanks
- professional consultancies.
- This training, accounting for 15 ECTs, takes place in the student's own work place and is supervised by Master course teachers. The training is supplemented with placements in other animal centers which satisfy the requirements for practical training for the Master course.
- Each student must prepare a detailed written description of their workplace and their tasks performed. The student's Master tutor will establish a plan for monitoring and evaluating the student's work. Depending on the amount of time that the student is able to dedicate to specific tasks, the variety of species housed in their center and the diversity of tasks, the Master coordinator may assign additional tasks to supplement the training.
- To ensure that students have experience in all areas of the Master syllabus, students are required to complete a practical placement in a different animal center to the one they work in focusing on areas in which they need experience.
Scholarships and financial aid
Chek all the information in the page for UAB financial aids, grants and calls.
Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología Ambientales
Associació del Punt d’Interacció de Collserola
Associació Recerca i Decreixement Barcelona