- UAB Specialisation Course
- Code: 2271/19
- 19th edition
- Modality: Onsite
- Credits: 12 ECTS
- Start date: 15/09/2022
- Finish date: 15/11/2022
- Places: 45
- Orientation: Professional
- Price: 2250 €
Special price 1910 €
Group of application:
- Teaching language: English
- Location: Facultat de Veterinària. Campus UAB, Bellaterra (Barcelona)
The module consists of two parts. The experimental models component provides extensive knowledge of different experimental animal models in different research areas. The genetic component explores models of genetically modified animals, their production, maintenance and the implications of their use.
This module also provides practical training in relation to animal biology, euthanasia and minimally invasive methods.
The content of this module also complies with the training requirements set out in Spanish Royal Decree RD53/2013 and European Directive EU63/2010 developed by the European Commission in respect of the following modules:
Basic and appropriate biology (theory); Basic and appropriate biology (practical), Humane methods of killing (skills), Minimally invasive procedures without anaesthesia (theory), Minimally invasive procedures without anaesthesia (theory), Minimally invasive techniques without anaesthesia (skills).
Contents- Strategic planning, impact of institutional policy and guidelines Internal relations, relations with other animal centers and with society.
- Legislation (local, regional and national) on design and construction of animal facilities
- Animal facility design, construction and equipment: basic concepts; conforming to legislation and "good practices"; specialized functions of animals, projects, personnel and equipment.
- Management of rodent animal facilities: proper hygiene of the facility; storage of material and equipment; security (access); computerised systems.
- Computerized management systems; descriptions of systems; analysis of specific needs and resolution of problems; equipment currently available; maintenance of technical installations.
- Management of a ZebraFish facility: equipment; sterilization; desinfection. security; automatic processes.
- Examples of animal facilities: CReSA: bio-security; multi-species/multi-use, facilities in research laboratories; facilities for genetically modified rodents
- Health and Safety in animal facilities; legislation; Health and safety procedures ; evaluation and prevention of risks; protection of personnel; hygiene of the facility, control and disposal of waste; Plans for emergencies and natural disasters
- Human Recourses.
-- Psychology applied to an animal facility; interaction between welfare of humans and animals.
-- Management of personnel. Categories of personnel and career programs; recruitment of personnel; training; incentives and evaluation of personnel. Current situation of personnel in Spain and Europe.
- Financial control: budgeting; purchasing policy; animal costing; obtaining animals- breeding or obtaining animals externally; obtaining resources; effective financial management.
- Application of information technology in animal facilities:
- Accreditation: AAALAC, ISO, BLP.
ItineraryThis course is included in the Master in Laboratory Animal Science and Welfare.
Scholarships and financial aid
Chek all the information on the possibilities for grants and scholarships in the page for UAB financial aids, grants and calls.
Facultad de Veterinaria
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Fisiología e Inmunología
Patrocinio Vergara Esteras