Content Official Master's Degree in General Health Psychology
UAB's Virtual Fair for Master's Degrees, Graduate Courses and PhD Programmes
Informative sessions with each programme's direction. From the 2nd to the 6th of October: Registration is open!
Ideal student profile
The master's degree is aimed at future professionals interested in working in psychology within the health sector and who, in accordance with Section C of the Appendix of Order ECD/1070/2013, of 12 June, hold a degree in Psychology and, if deemed necessary, additional training to certify a minimum of 90 ECTS credits obtained specifically in the health sector.
This master's degree is necessary for all those who wish to work as certified General Health Psychologists (Additional provision number seven to Law 33/2011, of 4 October, Public Health General).
- Use acquired knowledge as a basis for originality in the application of ideas, often in a research context.
- Solve problems in new or little-known situations within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to the field of study.
- Integrate knowledge and use it to make judgements in complex situations, with incomplete information, while keeping in mind social and ethical responsibilities.
- Communicate and justify conclusions clearly and unambiguously to both specialised and non-specialised audiences.
- Continue the learning process, to a large extent autonomously.
- Acquire, develop and put into practice a concept of integral health, including all its biopsychosocial components, in line with WHO guidelines.
- Apply the principles of bioethics and the deliberation method to professional practice, in line with Law 44/2003, of 21 November, on organisation of the healthcare professions.
- Display skills in interpersonal communication and appropriate handling of emotions for effective interaction with patients, family-members and carers in the processes of identifying the problem, evaluating, communicating the diagnosis and conducting the psychological intervention and follow-up.
- Critically analyse and use clinical information sources.
- Write psychological reports appropriately in terms of their addressees.
- Know the framework for the activity of general health psychologists and be able to call in the corresponding specialists.
- Know in depth the psychological nature of human behaviour, and the social and biological factors that can affect it.
- Know in depth the psychosocial factors associated with health problems and illness.
- Know in depth the biological and psychosocial factors associated with mental health problems and illness, especially those related to mental health.
- Know in depth the different models of evaluation and intervention in the field of general health psychology, and the techniques and procedures deriving from these, to address behavioural disorders and the psychological factors associated with health problems.
- Plan, carry out and, where appropriate, supervise the psychological evaluation of human behaviour and of the psychological factors associated with health problems, in order to evaluate the latter.
- Design, develop and, where appropriate, supervise and evaluate psychological intervention programmes, on the basis of the psychological evaluation and the individual and social variables of each case.
- Know the regulations governing healthcare in Spain.
- Carry out promotional and educational activities on individual and community psychological health.
- Use information and communication technologies.
- Formulate working hypotheses in research and critically assess information for problem-solving, using the scientific method.
- Work responsibly, prioritising quality and continuous improvement, and displaying a capacity for self-criticism.
- Communicate with other professionals and show mastery of skills needed in working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Know healthcare personnel's duties and responsibilities regarding confidentiality and protection of patients' personal information.
- Know the activities needed to set up, launch and manage a business, and the corresponding legal, accounting and tax requirements.