- Faculty of Science
- Bellaterra Campus
- Duration: 4 courses - 240 credits
- Places: 50
- Admission mark: 5,000
- Price per credit: 25.04 Euros
- Language: Catalan (85%), Spanish (10%) and English (5%)
- Learning mode: On-site.
- The bachelor's degree in Geology offers the integrated training needed to become a good geologist, with quality lectures, compulsory work placements and fieldwork projects. Lectures are offered at the Faculty of Sciences together with other science degrees and the joint degree in Environmental Science + Geology, which fosters meeting and interacting with students from other bachelor's degrees.
- Guidance services: students can consult people with experience when choosing their optional credits, solving problems that may come up or planning their future professional careers; each student has a tutor assigned to them for any academic help they may need.
- Fieldwork: training to become a geologist at the UAB is largely oriented towards gaining practical skills; a total of 41 days out on the field are conducted during the degree:
- 21 days are included in four, 6-credit subjects. In your first year, you will have a fieldwork subject to become familiar with geology in Catalonia. In your second year, there will be a fieldwork subject in Geological Mapping in Móra d’Ebre where you will learn to make geological maps. In your third year, you will work on Variscan orogeny in a transversal E-W from the Picos de Europa to the Ortegal county in Galicia. In your fourth year, you will study the Pyrenees mountains from N-S, starting at the Aragonese Pyrenees and from E-W from the Central pre-Pyrenees range.
- 20 days fieldwork belonging to other subjects.
- Work placements
- Exchange programmes
- UAB Summer School
A degree in Geology qualifies its holder to work in construction, mining, petroleum and environmental firms. The main areas of employment for graduates are:
Geological mapping of territories
Assessment of geological risks
Quality control of natural construction materials
Geological studies for civil projects (geotechnics) and sounding control
Research and prospecting of natural resources (industrial minerals and rocks, fossil fuels, water)
Management and Assessment of Environmental Impacts
null Octavio Segura