Thesis in 4 Minutes Competition
The Thesis in 4 Minutes competition aims at offering PhD students, in any academic discipline, the challenge of explaining their research in a maximum of 4 minutes, in simple, easily understable language for a general audience.
The winner will go on to represent the UAB at the competition organised by the Catalan Research and Innovation Foundation (FCRi), “Thesis en 4 Minutes”, which awards a €3,000 first prize.
If you are a PhD student in at least the second year and you have not defended your thesis yet, do not hesitate to participate!
- Be a PhD student at the UAB in at least the second year, with registration paid for the current academic year.
- Not have defended the thesis by the date of the competition.
- Have the approval of your thesis supervisor.
- Undertake to attend personally on the day of the competition, since online participation is not permitted other than for reasons of health or reasons related to Covid 19.
- Undertake not to reveal any confidential information or data related to the research.
- If you win the competition, undertake to participate as a representative of the UAB in the Thesis in 4 Minutes competition of the Catalan Foundation for Research, which will take place the 22nd June 2023 at Caixa Fòrum Lleida. If for unavoidable circumstances the winner cannot take part, the person receiving the second prize will participate.
The competition consists of two stages:
- Stage 1. Aspiring presenters should send proposals via this online form.
The following information is requested:
- Personal details.
- Name of the PhD programme and area of knowledge.
- Title of the presentation.
- Summary in Catalan, Spanish or English of the thesis (maximum 500 words) which should be in an informative language which can be understood by a non-expert audience.
- A short video (maximum 1 minute) in which the student presents and explains the reason for wanting to take part in the competition. This video must be recorded in landscape format and saved in MP4. The link must be copied onto the form to be able to upload it onto the platform of the student’s choice. This video will be used for the presentation of the finalists in the competition and for promotion on social media.
- Contact information on social media (Instagram, Twitter, etc.). This field is optional.
The selection of proposals for presentation will be made by a panel made up of a representative of the Vice Rector’s Office for Research, a representative of the Vice Rector’s Office for Communication and Promotion, UAB researchers and members of the Doctoral School Standing Committee. The panel will consider the content, comprehension, and capacity for synthesis of the proposals.
The period for submissions is 3 to 22 March 2023. On 18 April 2023 the candidates selected will be informed and will go on to the next stage.
UPDATE: The deadline for submissions has been extended to 27 March at 12 pm.
- Stage 2. Those selected must participate in a 4-hour training session (2 and 4 May 2023, 10 to 12 h) to help them to prepare an oral presentation of 4 minutes on the research involved in their thesis project which they stated in their application. On 17 de May 2023 the finalists will make their presentations before a panel that will award the different prizes.
- The presentation will be considered to have begun when the presenter starts to speak.
- The presentation can be made in Catalan, Spanish or English.
- Only static slides are permitted as support material, and it is recommended that no more than two are used.
- Some accompanying materials are allowed but it is recommended that these are kept to a minimum.
- Brief or humorous quotes are allowed.
- Videos, sound, musical instruments, and fancy dress are not allowed.
- The presentations will be made in a ceremony to be transmitted live on the UAB YouTube. The format of the ceremony may be modified to adapt it to the whatever Covid 19 restrictions are in place on the day. The order of the presentations will be decided by drawing lots.
The jury is made up of a representative of the Vice Rector’s Office for Research, a representative of the Vice Rector’s Office for Communication and Promotion, UAB researchers and members of the Doctoral School Standing Committee. The panel will consider the content, comprehension, and capacity for synthesis of the proposals.
The jury will award first and second prize to the best two presentations and there will also be an audience prize. This year, for the first time, a special 300 euros prize "Joan Oró" will be awarded to the thesis in Catalan instilling entrepreneurial values and spirit.
* The audience prize and the special prize "Joan Oró” are compatible with the first and second prizes (in the case they coincide, the amounts will be added).
The rules for the Thesis in 4 Minutes competition can be downloaded below.
Personal data will be included in the file of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, with registered address at Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès 08193), and they will be processed for the purpose of data collection for managing the competition.
The person responsible for data processing is Inma Ponte, Director of the Doctoral School (Tel: 93 586 85 53, email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Personal data will not be released to third parties except in cases that are legally permitted or for obligatory compliance.
The data will be held on file for an indefinite period.
In accordance with the current legislation on personal data protection, you have the right to revoke your consent to their use at any time and you may exercise your right to access, rectify, cancel, opposed and place limitations on the processing and portability of your data by contacting the person responsible for data processing or the General Secretariat of the UAB at the Rectorat Building of the Bellaterra campus or by email email@example.com.
You can also make any necessary consultations in relation to the processing of your personal data by writing to the personal responsible for data processing at the UAB: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also present any complaints you may have to the Catalan Data Protection Authority.
Acceptance of the rules and regulations
Participation in this competition assumes full acceptance of the rules. Any questions about their interpretation or any incident that may occur during the competition period must be resolved by the organising unit whose decision is final.