Go to main content
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
UAB Barcelona Summer School

Health Insurances and Visa


Healthcare Insurance

Any foreign student coming to a Catalan university must have medical insurance coverage.

If you are from outside of the European Economic Area, you should check whether there is an agreement for healthcare between the Social Security of your country and the Social Security of Spain. If there is such an agreement, you should submit the necessary documents in your country so that you can have free access to Spanish public healthcare.

If your country has no healthcare agreement with the Spanish Social Security system, you should take a private insurance coverage for the whole time of your stay in Spain.

The private medical insurances need to insure no less than 100.000 euros in the basic services (hospitalization, etc.), without gaps of coverage or co-payments.

The insurance company OMNIBUS is offering an insurance for incoming international students, researchers and professors of UAB that covers medical expenses referring to illness, accidents and repatriation, among others. You will find information about its benefits and rates in the following link, where you can also purchase it on line.

Due to the current circumstances, and with the possibility of future waves of coronavirus, health insurances that will cover the expenses of COVID-19 treatments will be advisable. Omnibus offers a health insurance for within-Spain mobility stays that covers such eventuality although any other possible insurance that complies to such requirements will also be accepted.

Students, researchers or foreign teachers from within the European Union as well as Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland may ask for the European Healthcare card. The EHIC is personal and not-transferable and gives you the rights to receive the sanitary perks that might be needed during your temporary stay within the Schengen borders according to the rules and legislations of the host country, independently of the reason of your stay in said country (study, tourism or work-related). For more information check out this website. In any case, an additional health insurance that might cover possible co-paid expenses is also recommended.


Types of Visa

Students enrolling courses for less than 90 days, if a nationality visa is not needed, will be able to travel without it and only documentation required will be proving enrolment acceptance in their courses. If a nationality visa is needed, they must apply for a C-type visa (Schengen) to be able to come to Spain, as well as bring the documentation indicating enrolment acceptance in their courses.  

Students who study in Member States or Associated Schengen States and who have the correspondent permit or visa and health insurance, if they are going to the country where they are studying, and that entry takes place during the academic year or the 15 days prior the beginning.  

If you are a Non-European Union citizen and you are preparing to study in Spain, you need to arrange your legal situation, depending on the duration of your stay.

Mobility within EU countries: All of those non-UE citizens who hold a valid EU residence permit can enter Spain without applying for a new VISA as long as their EU residence permit is still valid. Check the steps for this procedure here.

Period of studies up to three months:

  1. The European Directive EC nº 2018/1806 March 28th, 2018 includes in its annex II the countries whose nationals are exempted from the obligation to obtain a visa for study periods of up to three months. Those have to fulfill the legal requisites described in article 5 of the Schengen Code, and in case of having to prolong the stay, it is possible to request an extension for a maximum of three more months (for more information consult Form 02 from the government).
  2. The European Directive EC nº 2018/1806 March 28th, 2018 includes in its annex I the countries whose nationals are submitted to the visa obligation (type C) to enter the Schengen Area. For more information, consult here.

Period of studies up to six months:

There is a visa (type D) for studies that allows you to stay in Spain for a period of up to 180 days (Visado D Estudios hasta 180 días). This type of visa does not allow you to obtain the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE). Consult this link for more information.

Period of studies longer than six months:

Those non-EU citizens who are going to study in Spain for a period of more than six months have to apply for an open visa for studies (type D). This type of visa (Visado D Estudios, Investigación) is valid for three months for entering the Schengen Area and once you have entered Spain you have to obtain the Student Residence Card for Foreigners (TIE) in order to remain legally in Spain. Check the information about how to get your TIE.

The TIE is a temporary permit that permits you to stay in the country for the period of your studies. The card is valid for a maximum of one academic year and can be renewed annually until you finish your studies. Your academic performance will be taken into account when renewing your permit. The document gives you the right to remain legally in the country while you study.

You will have a maximum of 30 days after entering the European Union to begin the process of applying for the Student Residence Card (TIE). For this, you will need to present your flight ticket (boarding ticket) or the stamp on your passport showing the date in which you entered the European Union.

You can apply for a visa through your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

Important: A visa can never be changed once you are in Spain. The only valid visa is the one obtained from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate before coming to Spain.

Important: All foreign official documents must be previously legalized and, if necessary, must be translated into Spanish or official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

For more information, see the Official Information Form nº 9 of the ministry (in Spanish).

Lost or stolen visa:

To report your visa lost or stolen, fax the police report (preferably in Spanish or English) to:


Sección Visados

C/Ruiz de Alcorcón, 5

28071 Madrid

Fax: 91 394 86 67/69

Be sure to include your personal data, an address where you wish to receive the confirmation of your visa and an e-mail address if you wish to receive a copy of this confirmation beforehand.