Master's Degree in Swallowing Disorders
IntroductionSwallowing disorder is a little recognised condition suffered by 30 million Europeans, together with the associated nutritional and respiratory complications. It is very important to heighten awareness of this illness which can lead to serious complications: aspiration pneumonia, increase in cases of asphyxia, malnutrition and dehydration; which can be fatal. Dysphagia also increases the length of stay in hospital and the need for institutional care of the patient.
Populations at risk include both adult and paediatric patients with neurodegenerative diseases, embolism and non-degenerative neurological diseases, brain trauma, the elderly (over 70), patients with head and neck conditions (such as tumours), patients with recurrent pneumonia and respiratory infections.
In short, early detection and treatment of oropharyngeal dysphagia is important for preventing complications associated with the illness and reducing the risk of death from malnutrition and aspiration pneumonia.
This Master's degree is multidisciplinary and aims to increase knowledge of dysphagia by offering advanced training in the the specific area of oropharyngeal dysphagia, including professional practice and clinical cases.
The programme is worth 66 ECTS credits and is designed for multidisciplinary professionals from all fields working with dysphagia: geriatrics and rehabilitation, physiotherapy, medicine, nursing, radiology, neurology, ENT, speech therapy, dietetics and nutrition, etc.
This Master's degree does not qualify students for professional practice in itself but aims to increase competences and basic knowledge in the area of dysphagia.
- Bachelor's degree or diploma with knowledge of the files of medicine, nursing or other health-related areas.
Students must have one of the following:
- Official Spanish university degree .
- Degree certificate issued by a higler education institution of the EHEA which gives access to postgraduate study.
- Certificate issued outside the EHEA. In this case the qualification must be officially recognised in comparison with a Spanish qualification or previously approved as being equivalent to Spanish university qualifications which would gives access to postgraduate study in the country of issue. Acceptance on the postgraduate course does not under any circumstances imply the official recognition of any previous qualifications other than for the purpose of acceptance on the course.
- Level of English: equivalent to level 6 in the IELTS system, level 2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Student profile: students with multidisciplinary experience of any field related to dysphagia: radiology, neurology, rehabilitation, geriatrics.
Given that this postgraduate course is aimed at professionals who are already qualified in different fields, the course does not qualify for professional practice on its own but aims to increase basic competences and knowledge in the area of dysphagia.
The professional areas in which employment opportunities exist are all those in contact with dysphagia: medicine, nursing, radiology, neurology, speech therapy, dietetics and nutrition, ENT, physiotherapy, geriatrics and rehabilitation, etc.
Phone: +34 93 741 7700 ext. 2286
UAB-specific Master's Degree10% discount Alumni Premium
Location: Hospital de Mataró. Crta. de Cirera s/n 08304 Mataró/ Facultat de Medicina, UAB/ Acadèmia de les Ciències Mèdiques de Catalunya i Balears: Carrer Major de Can Caralleu 1-7, 08017 de Barcelona
Dates: from 14/10/2019 to 29/05/2020
Departamento de Cirugía
Fundació Salut del Consorci Sanitari del Maresme
European Society for Swallowing Disorders
Master's degree in Swallowing Disorders Postgraduate diploma in Swallowing Disorders
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.