- Credits: 90 ECTS
- Price: Check with the coordinating university
The Official Master's Degree is an interdisciplinary master's qualification promoted by the Inter-University Women and Gender Studies Institute (IIEDG) which has an agreement with eight participating Catalan universities: UB (coordinator), UAB, UdeG, UPC, URV, UdeVic, UdeLl and UPF.
The Master's Degree was first offered in the 2007/08 academic year and currently includes over 200 students. The team that teaches the master's degree consists of Catalonia's leading academics in women's and gender studies, non-academics with many years of experience in professions related to women and gender, and renowned foreign specialists: EDGC teaching staff
The general aim of this master's degree is to train researchers and professionals in women and gender studies, providing them with a scientifically rigorous basis which they can apply to problems of social interest.
The first year consists of providing students with a general training in some of the more basic areas of gender study and introducing them to specific subjects according to the specialisation they choose; the second year is dedicated to an in-depth study of their specialisation, including work placements and their final project.
The master's degree is made up of two specialisations: "Theory, Criticism and Culture" and "Women, Work and Public Policy".
- The specialization in Theory, Criticism and Culture trains researchers and professionals capable of integrating a gender perspective into research, teaching and professional practice in all areas of scientific and technical knowledge and in the social and human sciences.
- The specialization in Women, Work and Public Policies trains professionals capable of contributing to the design, implementation and evaluation of public policies from a feminist gender perspective, as well as the design, implementation and evaluation of equality plans.
Master's coordinator: Núria Pumar, Universitat de Barcelona: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adjunct to coordination: Toni Vives, Universitat de Barcelona: email@example.com
Coordinating at UAB (comission): Olga Paz, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona: firstname.lastname@example.org
Career optionsBy the end of the master’s degree, students will be prepared to work in the following professional sectors:
- Equality agents, a relevant figure since the passing of several gender equality laws and which in the near future will play an important role in businesses, public administrations and associations.
- Mass media, NGOs, educational institutions, and regional and national administrations.
- Research and analysis conducted through a gender perspective, with academic options such as continuing onto a PhD programme and participating in programmes and projects which specifically incorporate this perspective.
University of Barcelona (coordinator)
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Rovira i Virgili University
University of Girona
University of Lleida
University of Vic
The classroom-based tuition takes place at the Faculty of Geography and History at the University of Barcelona.