Content Official Master's Degree in Biological and Environmental Engineering
Ideal student profileThe ideal profile for this master's degree is a graduate in Chemical Engineering or other similar engineering fields, with a critical mind and concern about sustainable development, motivated by the biotechnology field and able to work in multidisciplinary and international teams. You must have ability for abstraction and logical reasoning, a very keen sense of practicality, ability to create and innovate and skills in working in a research laboratory.
You must also have substantial skills in chemical engineering and basic skills in biotechnology and environmental engineering, as well as command of the main computer programs and knowledge in English (level B1).
- Use acquired knowledge as a basis for originality in the application of ideas, often in a research context.
- Solve problems in new or little-known situations within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to the field of study.
- Integrate knowledge and use it to make judgements in complex situations, with incomplete information, while keeping in mind social and ethical responsibilities.
- Communicate and justify conclusions clearly and unambiguously to both specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Continue the learning process, to a large extent autonomously.
- Integrate and use chemical, environmental and biological engineering tools to design biological systems for the sustainable processing of waste and for industrial biotechnological processes.
- Integrate knowledge about the state of biocatalysis, its areas of application, the different kinds of biotransformations and the design of a biocatalytic process for application in industry.
- Integrate and use biotechnology and bioprocess engineering tools to solve problems in emerging biotechnological areas for the industrial production of bioproducts.
- Use knowledge of chemical engineering to design and optimise processes of pollution remediation in natural environments.
- Design and operate systems of purification of urban and industrial waste waters. Integrate knowledge of kinetics, thermodynamics, transport phenomena and numerical methods to analyse, design, model and optimise different types of biological reactors and their operating strategy.
- Define and design the characteristic separation sequences in chemical, biotechnological and environmental processes in order to increase separation yields, applying criteria of energy optimisation.
- Apply methods, tools and strategies to develop biotechnological processes and products with energy-saving and sustainability criteria.
- Apply specific methodologies, techniques and resources to conduct research and produce innovative results in the area of biological and environmental engineering.
- Seek out information in the scientific literature using the appropriate channels and integrate this information, showing a capacity for synthesis, analysis of alternatives and critical debate.
- Organise, plan and manage projects
- Use IT tools to acquire further knowledge in the field of biological and environmental engineering.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team.