Bachelor's Degree in Geography and Spatial Planning (online)
The bachelor's degree in Geography and Spatial Planning (online) trains professionals in several areas. To do so, it connects social and natural sciences to take on economic, social, cultural, landscape and environmental dynamics at different geographical scales which explain everything from global to local matters. This knowledge provides you with the tools needed to improve the planning and management of the land based on interactions among all fields.
Do you need to study on a flexible schedule?
Join the network and study Geography!
The contents of the bachelor's degree offer the theoretical and analysis tools needed to understand both local and global human and environmental changes, closely discover the landscapes surrounding us and the pressure they are under, and understand the causes behind the differences and inequalities among social areas and groups. It also explores how individual and collective actions contribute to these geographic changes.
Distance learning is combined with other classroom-based activities such as experimental projects, fieldwork (a few Saturdays of each semester) and exams (Friday afternoons and Saturdays). The new technologies, together with Geographic Information Systems, provide a solid technical training for the adequate management of resources and the environment in an intelligent manner.
The online version of the bachelor's degree in Geography and Spatial Planning at the UAB is an innovative project in terms of integrating land analysis, reflection and action.
These basic objectives are completed with three tracks which help students steer towards a greater specialisation in the field: Regional and Environmental Planning, Demography and Migrations, and Urban, Regional and Cultural Studies.
With regard to research, the degree in Geography and spatial Planning at the UAB stands out for its leading research in different areas of geography and for its innovation in teaching. The research carried out by the lecturing staff has always been essential in introducing new approaches to the science of geography (quantitative geography, critical geography, gender geography, new branches in applied geography through the use of specific techniques, etc.).
Another indicator of the dynamics in research and academic training are the collaborations maintained between lecturers and several university-related entities, such as the Institute for Metropolitan Studies of Barcelona (IEMB), the Centre for Demographic Studies (CED), Centre for Ecological Research and Forestry Applications (CREAF), Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA), and the Laboratory of Geographic Information and Remote Sensing (LIGIT).
Student ProfileIf you fulfil one of the following characteristics...
- You are searching for an online degree which allows you to understand the interrelations existing in today's world.
- You are someone interested in social and environmental problems, but you do not have a flexible schedule.
- You are involved with your neighbourhood and local associations which defend the land and territory.
- You feel especially sensitive towards key issues of today's society (migration, uncontrolled urbanisation, climate change, renewable energies, gender inequality, social class, culture, age, etc.).
- You are not sure what you want to study, but you do want many disciplines in one!
- You like fieldwork, outings, looking at maps, planning trips, travelling, and you've always liked knowing exactly where you were going.
- You already have a degree, but you are interested in studying another one to complement your knowledge and/or broaden your horizons.
- You work, but you want to continue studying and earn a university degree which will help you get further ahead in your career.
Career optionsThe bachelor's degree in Geography and Spatial Planning trains technicians and specialists prepared to work in the following areas:
- Spatial Planning and Management. Specialists in planning and managing the land, policies of private and public institutions (urban planning, cadastral surveyors, heritage and real estate managers, etc.).
- Regional Studies. Specialist in rural spaces and local developments and in urban spaces and planning (landscape specialists, development agents, cooperation agents, etc.).
- Mapping. Specialists in cartographic techniques and quantitative and qualitative methodologies (cartography and map libraries, remote sensing, collaboration with topographers, design of surveys and statistical analysis, etc.).
- Working in a network and in cooperation with other professionals from this environment. Specialist in environmental issues (environmental health and risk prevention officers, environmental consultants, managers of natural parks, etc.) and specialist in the physical environment (meteorologists, hydrologists, geological consultants, etc.).
- Regional analysis. Specialists in local and regional analyses as well as in countries and large regions around the world (strategic and geopolitical resources, etc.).
- Demography. Specialist in population and demography issues (demography applied to business, geomarketing, etc.).
- Teaching, dissemination and informal education on spatial planning.Specialists in education teaching social sciences or working on popularisation tasks in geography (tourist promotion, publishing houses, preparing papers for journals, teaching, etc.).
- Research into spatial planning. Specialists in different fields of geography working in research centres or institutes, or at universities conducting research into geography.
Coordinator and coordination teamAsunción Blanco
93 581 18 59
EvaluationECTS methodology consists of continued assessment of all academic work done by students.
Number of credits: 240
Duration: 4 years
Period of study: The degree is organised into semesters
Part-time or full-time: Full-time dedication. Part-time option available.
Contact us for more information filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Degree's website http://geografia.uab.cat