Bachelor's Degree in Law
The objective of the Bachelor's Degree in Law is to train up future jurists who will be committed to society and will become excellent professionals. To achieve this, students can count on a faculty with a considerable network of alliances with universities at home and abroad. Examples of this are the double degree in Law + Maîtrise de Droit, which offers the chance to study at the UAB and at the universities of Paris II and Toulouse, and the programme of curricular placements with firms in Shanghai.
Further opportunities to specialise are offered by the double degree in Business Management and Administration + Law, which provides sound training in law and business and thus opens up career opportunities and leads into official master's programmes. In addition, there is the double degree in Political Science and Public Administration + Law, which provides the competences necessary for pursuing a career in the institutional and political sphere and a sound training in Law.
The faculty trains future lawyers: professionals who have to master the art of language, so it offers subjects related to oral and written expression, and reading comprehension. The faculty also has its own courtroom for practical forensic training and all students can carry out work placements in businesses, offices, consultancies, notary services and registries, always under the supervision of professionals.
The Faculty of Law has a strong background in teaching and research in fields like European Union law, in which it works alongside the UAB's Institute of European Studies. This is especially highlighted by the three Jean Monnet chairs awarded to teaching staff from this faculty.
Two topics the faculty has give special attention to recently are those of equality and non-discrimination. New technologies are another topic in which this faculty is considered a worldwide point of reference, thanks to its cooperation with the Institute of Law and Technology, which is housed in the faculty itself.
The ideal student for this degree should have the following qualities:
- Ability to comprehend written texts and good oral and written expression.
- Ability to work in group and a great interest in learning and studying.
- Knowledge or at least interest in subjects related to the social sciences, especially those linked to social issues.
- Sensitivity towards justice and participation in public institutions.
These qualities are related to the competences required to practise Law, which will be built up gradually throughout the programme. Nevertheless, it is a great advantage to start out on Law studies with some of these competences already partly developed.
Law graduates are entitled to practise Law, as lawyers or as court procurators. There are many different career paths within the legal profession: freelancing or in paid employment, in consultancies, administrative agencies, private companies, credit entities, insurance companies, etc. The Faculty of Law offers its graduates the possibility of taking the master's degree in The Legal Profession.
Other legal sectors related to public administration tasks can include:
- international organisations such as United Nations, European Council or other supranational entities such as the European Union;
- on a national level, the administration of justice (judges, prosecutors, court clerks), the diplomatic service or other areas such as notary firms, or property and company registries; parliamentary legal officers, state counsel, or government inspectors (internal revenues, employment etc. );
- Career civil servant posts in autonomous community departments and legal services or as lawyers working in the parliaments of autonomous communities.
- Public administration posts in regional, state and international organisations.
Coordinator and coordination teamCoordinador: Dr. Albert Pastor
A combination of exams and assignments
TimetablesMornings and afternoons
Number of credits: 240
Duration: 4 years
Period of study: Six-monthly
Part-time or full-time: Full-time dedication. Part-time option available. (slow track).
Contact us for more information filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail