Spanish as a Foreign Language (level A2 CEFRL / taught in Spanish) - Online

UAB Barcelona Summer School

Spanish as a  Foreign Language (A2 CEFR) - Lecturer Lucía Márquez

Number of credits: 6 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)
Tution fee: 840 €
Price for UAB students: 200 €
Teaching Language: Spanish
Place: UAB Campus Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès), Barcelona
Teaching Period: 22 June to 10 July
Schedule (First period):

  • 9-10h Lecture class with teacher
  • 10-11h Interactive seminar
  • 11-12h Organised tutoring sessions

Teacher: Lucía Márquez

Enrol now

Enrolment guidelines




Lucía Márquez Carbajo has a degree in Spanish from Barcelona University, specializing in Literature (1989). She earned a master’s degree in Teacher Training for Spanish as a Foreign Language (FPELE) from Barcelona University, with a dissertation on Reading Literary Texts in the Spanish Class for Foreigners (1998). Since 1992, she has been a teacher of Spanish at the UAB Language Service, teaching students from many different countries. From 1993 to 2013, she was coordinator of the Spanish section at the Language Service.

Teacher's e-mail:



Content overview

The course is aimed at foreign students with a basic level of Spanish (A1 of CEFR) who want to reach a level of communicative competence equivalent to level A2 of the CEFRL: this effectively means the ability to deal with simple, straightforward information and to express oneself in a limited manner in most common situations in daily life. 

The course takes place entirely online. Students work under their teacher’s supervision and independently; when not supervised, they will use the resources provided by the teacher or the online resources of the UAB Language Service.


Week programme

Week Contents
1 Communicative and Lexical Objectives:
  • Talking about habits, difficulties, motivations and feelings concerning language learning
  • Identifying and describing people’s looks and character
  • Talking about family, relationships and similarities among people
  • Coping in ‘set’ situations: saying hello, saying goodbye, arranging to meet

Grammatical Objectives:
  • Regular and irregular present tense, reflexive verbs
  • Para / por / porque
  • Demonstratives
  • Possessives
  • Estar +gerund
2 Communicative and Lexical Objectives: 
  • Speaking about leisure-time activities, timetables and place descriptions
  • Narrating past experiences
  • Speaking about intentions and projects for the future
  • Expressing tastes and preferences, comparing
  • Describing a house, objects and their spatial location

Grammatical Objectives: 
  • The past perfect
  • Ir a + the infinitive
  • Querer/pensar + the infinitive
  • Indefinite pronouns (something, nothing, someone, no-one…)
  • The uses of ser and estar
  • The verbs gustar, encantar, preferir
3 Communicative and Lexical Objectives:
  • Talking about the beginning and the end of an activity
  • Narrating and evaluating past experiences and events
  • Talking about eating habits
  • Describing pain, irritations and symptoms

Grammatical Objectives:
  • The past perfect
  • The indefinite past Exclamations (¡Qué pena!)
  • Desde/Desde que/ desde hace
  • The verb doler


Teaching / Learning activities

  • Classes have a guided-teaching time slot, a time slot for interaction among students and one for individual tutorials, helping to motivate student participation in this online learning environment.
  • Classroom activities are aimed at improving communication skills: oral and written comprehension as well as oral and written expression
  • Classroom activities include, for example, reading of texts related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment); participating in simple and routine conversations requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar matters, and writing simple descriptions of the person’s background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.



The course has a system of continuous assessment made up of different activities evaluating the four language skills (reading comprehension, listening comprehension, written production and oral production) carried out during the course. These continuous assessment activities represent 60% of the overall grade. Class participation and homework will account for the remaining 40% of the overall grade. Students need a minimum mark of 50% to pass the course. 


Links and references