Graduate Diploma in Swallowing Disorders
IntroductionOropharyngeal dysphagia is a little recognised condition suffered by some 30 million Europeans, together with the associated nutritional and respiratory complications. It is very important to increase awareness of this condition as it can have serious complications: aspiratory pneumonia, heightened incidence of asphyxia, malnutrition or dehydration; which can all cause death in the patient. Dysphagia also prolongs hospital stays and the need for institutional care.
The populations at risk are both adults and children with neurodegenerativeillnesses, strokes and non-degenerative neurological illnesses, brain trauma, the elderly (over 70), patients with head and neck conditions (such as tumours), patients with recurrent pneumonia and respiratory infections.
In conclusion early detection and treatment of oropharyngealdysphagia is important for the prevention of associated complications and to reduce the risk of death as a result of malnutrition and aspiratory pneumonia.
This postgraduate diploma is multidisciplinary and aimes to increase knowledge about dysphagia offering advanced training in the specific area of oropharyngealdysphagia, including professional practice with clinical cases.
The course comprises 51 ECTS credits and is designed for multidisciplinary professionals from all fields in contact with dysphagia: geriatrics and rehabilitation, nursing, medicine, radiology, neurology, ENT, dietetics and nutrition, etc.
This postgraduate diploma not not qualify students for professiona practice in the area of dysphagia.
Objectives- Add to the knowledge base of multidisciplinary staff specific knowledge about dysphagia and associated illnesses.
- Train multidisciplinary professionals to recognise dysphagia and to design and apply preventative and corrective techniques.
- Promote multidisciplinary team work in oropharyngeal dysphagia.
- Increase the development of professional skills in dysphagia.
- Integrate different perspectives to obtain more information about the physiology of swallowing, pathophysiology of dysphagia, evaluation, rehabilitation and management, as well as clinical training with dysphagia patients.
- Bachelor's degree or diploma with knowledge of the files of medicine, nursing or other health-related areas.
Students must have one of the following:
- Official Spanish university degree .
- Degree certificate issued by a higler education institution of the EHEA which gives access to postgraduate study.
- Certificate issued outside the EHEA. In this case the qualification must be officially recognised in comparison with a Spanish qualification or previously approved as being equivalent to Spanish university qualifications which would gives access to postgraduate study in the country of issue. Acceptance on the postgraduate course does not under any circumstances imply the official recognition of any previous qualifications other than for the purpose of acceptance on the course.
- Level of English: equivalent to level 6 in the IELTS system, level 2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Student profile: students with multidisciplinary experience of any field related to dysphagia: radiology, neurology, rehabilitation, geriatrics.
Given that this postgraduate course is aimed at professionals who are already qualified in different fields, the course does not qualify for professional practice on its own but aims to increase basic competences and knowledge in the area of dysphagia.
The professional areas in which employment opportunities exist are all those in contact with dysphagia: medicine, nursing, radiology, neurology, speech therapy, dietetics and nutrition, ENT, physiotherapy, geriatrics and rehabilitation, etc.
Phone: +34 93 741 7700 ext. 2286
UAB Graduate Diploma10% discount Alumni Premium
Location: Fundació Salut del Consorci Sanitari del Maresme: Hospital de Mataró, C/ Cirera s/n. 08304, Mataró, Barcelona./ Acadèmia de les Ciències Mèdiques de Catalunya i Balears: Carrer Major de Can Caralleu 1
Dates: from 14/10/2019 to 29/05/2020
Departamento de Cirugía
Fundació Salut del Consorci Sanitari del Maresme
European Society for Swallowing Disorders
Postgraduate Diploma on Swallowing Disorders
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.