Graduate Diploma in Social Research Techniques
The programme's origins lie in the recognised need to complete or complement bachelor's degree studies in sociology and political science, as well as others, by providing training in the use of social research techniques in professional practice.
Since the nineties, COLPIS has organised several editions of professionally-oriented training courses within vocational and continuing education programmes (such as FORCEM courses).
These courses brought to light a constant demand for training in applied research techniques within the social sciences, both from persons seeking to join the labour market and from those already employed in businesses or institutions that require broader, deeper or more up-to-date knowledge of social research techniques.
All this, together with a perceived lack of this type of training in Catalonia and Spain, led a group of lecturers attached to the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona and the University of Barcelona to set up, in 2003, joint programmes at master's degree and graduate diploma level.
ObjectivesThe programme covers the knowledge and use of advanced research techniques in the social sciences, especially sociology and political science, with the emphasis on professional practice. Taking into account the whole range of methodological approaches in social research, it provides a methodological and technical starting point from which to carry out a wide range of procedures for producing and analysing social data for research purposes.
- Provide up-to-date basic training, both theoretical and applied, in the specialist field of research methods and techniques in the social sciences, for use in social research and in organisation and market studies.
- Offer training to complement and build on bachelor's degree studies with respect to the different methodological approaches in social research – quantitative, qualitative, participatory, or mixed – focusing mainly on design, analysis and interpretation of data in applied social studies, in order to meet the needs of businesses and institutions with regard to knowledge, planning and action.
- Offer specialist training to help graduates join the labour market, and also continuous professional development for specialists already working in applied social research in businesses and institutions.
This Master's degree is addressed to university graduates seeking to make a career in the field of social research or use the knowledge and tools that it provides in their present work. Therefore, it is specifically addressed to:
- Graduates/ holders of pre-EHEA university diplomas wishing to extend or complete their applied social research training as a professional or applied orientation.
- Specialists and other professionals in businesses or institutions who wish to extend or refresh their applied social research skills so as to make use of them in their work context.
The programme is of greatest interest to those with a background in sociology or political science, but the multidisciplinary nature of research methods in social and human sciences means that it is also of interest to those coming from psychology, anthropology, economics, law, communication science, etc., seeking to widen their knowledge of research techniques.
For this reason there are no specific access requirements, and the Graduate Diploma is addressed both to graduates and to holders of pre-EHEA university diplomas.
This training aims to be open and flexible, general, diverse and inter-disciplinary to cover a great variety of professional opportunities.
The following are among the professional profiles that match the specialized training offered by the TISA postgraduate diploma:
- Social science research analysts
- Human resources managers and analysts
- Marketing and telemarketing operators
- Local and regional development agents
- European project analysts
- Social consultants
- Political consultants
- General public administration analysts.
Jose Pedro Lopez Roldan
UAB Graduate Diploma
Special price: 2394¤
Group of application:
Dates: from 02/11/2020 to 30/06/2022
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Universitat de Barcelona
Instituto de Estudios del Trabajo
Col.legi de Politòlegs i Sociòlegs de Catalunya
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately.