UAB's Virtual Fair for Master's Degrees, Graduate Courses and PhD Programmes
Informative sessions with each programme's direction, from the 20th to the 24th of February. Registration is open!
- Credits: 90 ECTS credits.
- Places: 20 places
- Price: Please check with the coordinating university.
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
This master's degree is unique in Spain due to its following characteristics:
- It is online: taking full advantage of the opportunities digital technologies offer to complete this degree when you want and where you want.
- It is interuniversity: a collaboration between the National Distance Education University and the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, with the participation of other prestigious institutions and research centres, such as the Spanish Royal Academy, the Spanish National Research Council, Carlos III University of Madrid, Pompeu Fabra University, etc.
- It is up-to-date: based on contemporary theoretical and applied philological and linguistic currents, projected on the lexicon and lexicography, with the certainty that a good grounding in theory and specialised training are essential to opening up optimal professional and research career paths that today's society of knowledge demands.
- It is professionalising: two specialisations are offered, a research track and a professionalisation track, in which you will be able to choose to work on a final research project on lexicon and/or lexicography, and you will also be ready to go on to a PhD programme or participate in a work placement programme.
The career options for philologists, in addition to teachinng, is linguistics applied to different fields (proofreading, organisation and planning of language material, continuous learning support in human resource department sectors, and language-related tasks in press offices, work agencies, advertising centres, etc.). Another more specific field is working as a lexicographer for publishers of dictionaries and encyclopedeias, educational material, etc.
Those enrolled in the master's degree thus have two complementary tracks: they may choose to focus on professional aspects, or they may decide to pursue a career in research. In fact, lexicography as a science has blossomed in the past years and is of great relevance in several countries. The need to fill in many of the theoretical gaps still existing in terms of how dictionaries function and are created, makes it possible for this master's degree to narrow in on theoretical aspects applied to modern linguistics. School dictionaries, of great necessity and relatively less worked upon, opens up another field of interest. And lastly, the need to provide an adequate focus on specialised dictionaries, fundamental to the current development of science and technology in any society, is another area in which much progress must be made.
I chose this master's degree with the objective of expanding my knowledge on one of the language disciplines which most captivated me during my university studies: lexicography.Erica Carriet Valiente
Coordinator university:National University of Distance Education - UNED (coordinator)
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
University Carlos III, Madrid
University of A Coruña, Galicia
Spanish Royal Academy
Spanish National Research Council
International Research Centre of the Spanish Language (Cilengua)
Institute of Language and History San Millán Foundation, La Rioja