Official Master's Degree in Advanced Biotechnology
Ideal student profile
The ideal applicant profile is a student on a degree in Biotechnology or another degree with a grounding in biological or technological sciences related to this field. In addition, master's degree students should ideally be motivated by research in the fields of Biotechnology, and be able to specialise in the industrial or therapeutic field. They should demonstrate a critical spirit, the ability to develop their abilities effectively in multidisciplinary and international environments and with initiative, have basic computer skills, the capacity for abstraction and logical reasoning, a highly developed practical sense, a sense of organisation and method, the capacity for creation and innovation, and the skills required to work in a research laboratory.
- Use acquired knowledge as a basis for originality in the application of ideas, often in a research context.
- Solve problems in new or little-known situations within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to the field of study.
- Integrate knowledge and use it to make judgements in complex situations, with incomplete information, while keeping in mind social and ethical responsibilities.
- Communicate and justify conclusions clearly and unambiguously to both specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Continue the learning process, to a large extent autonomously.
- Combine analytic and computational methodologies and tools for quantitative analysis, massive data processing and modelling ("omic" platforms and systems biology) of organisms or parts of these.
- Use appropriate methodologies for the rational design and improvement (synthetic biology and metabolic engineering) of enzymes, organisms and cell lines for industrial or clinical use.
- Comparatively integrate physiological microbial diversity and the potential application of microbial products and transformations mediated by microorganisms in the biotechnological, pharmaceutical and food industries.
- Combine knowledge of microbial genetics and physiology with the methodologies of bioprocess engineering in Cell Factory applications .
- Handle the biological methodologies and principles that underpin the microbial production of recombinant proteins.
- Conceive, design, manage and develop projects in the field of biotechnology.
- Use advanced biotechnology tools in combination to solve problems in emerging areas of biotechnology.
- Integrate knowledge about the state of biocatalysis, its areas of application, the different kinds of biotransformations and the design of a biocatalytic process for application in industry. (Specialisation in industrial biotechnology).
- Integrate the contents of the metabolic paths of living beings in normal conditions, pathological conditions, or conditions that are modified exogenously (specialisation in molecular and therapeutic biotechnology).
- Apply techniques for modifying living beings or parts of these in order to improve pharmaceutical and biotechnological processes and products or develop new products. (Specialisation in molecular and therapeutic biotechnology.
- Use and manage bibliography and IT resources related to biotechnology responsibly.
- Synthesise, weigh up alternatives and engage in critical discussion.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Organise, plan and manage projects.