Study plan Bachelor's Degree in English and Catalan Studies
- Students must have and understand knowledge of an area of study built on the basis of general secondary education, and while it relies on some advanced textbooks it also includes some aspects coming from the forefront of its field of study.
- Students can apply the knowledge to their own work or vocation in a professional manner and have the powers generally demonstrated by preparing and defending arguments and solving problems within their area of study.
- Students have the ability to gather and interpret relevant data (normally within their study area) to issue judgments that include reflection on important issues of social, scientific or ethical.
- Students must be capable of communicating information, ideas, problems and solutions to both specialised and non-specialised audiences.
- Students must develop the necessary learning skills in order to undertake further training with a high degree of autonomy.
- Make correct use of written and spoken English for academic or professional purposes, related to the study of language, history, culture and literature.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rules of Catalan and mastery of its foundations and applications in the academic and professional fields.
- Understand and produce written and oral academic texts in English at level C1.
- Understand and produce written and oral academic texts in English at level C2.
- Identify and interpret literary texts in different languages, analysing the generic, formal, thematic and cultural characteristics in accordance with the concepts and methods of comparative literature and literary theory.
- Recognise the most significant periods, traditions, tendencies, authors and works of literature in the Catalan and English languages in their socio-historical context.
- Identify the foundations of human language, the principles, methods and results of the structural analysis of languages.
- Interpret literary texts in Catalan and English in their cultural and historical context using current philological methods and textual and comparative strategies.
- Critically apply the different instruments of analysis to different types of linguistic data.
- Apply the concepts, resources and methods acquired during the study of variations of English and Catalan language, be it in a historical context or in the current global social and multilingual context.
- Analyse the main phonetic, phonological, morphological, syntactic, lexical and semantic properties of the Catalan and English languages, their evolution throughout history and their current structures.
- Critically evaluate the literary and cultural production in the Catalan and English languages and their historical and social context.
- Produce arguments applicable to the areas of literature, culture, literary theory, language and linguistics in Catalan and English and evaluate their academic importance.
- Demonstrate skills for professional development in the areas of linguistic applications, teaching and literary and cultural management in Catalan and English.
- Demonstrate the ability to work autonomously and in teams with the aim of attaining the planned objectives in multicultural and interdisciplinary contexts.
- Use digital tools and specific documentary sources for identifying and organisation information.
- Apply ethical scientific principles in information processing.
- Carry out effective written work and oral presentations adapted to the appropriate register in different languages.